Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

77 Nissan 280ZX independent rear diff swap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

ok, I had some time off during work hours today, so I snuck to the junkyard and found 2 R180/R200 ( I can never remember what Nissan used, I just know our Subaru diffs unless they are STi are R160s)

These are the style that used the ujoint based rear axles (independent rear suspension) I know I've seen a lot of talk about how these were sought after because there is a ARB air locker available for the bigger Nissan diff. With winter coming, I'm trying to scavenge all the parts I need for my winter projects. Ideally I'd like to get ahold of both diffs so I can build 2 of them one for me and one for my buddies lifted EJ22T Outback SS.

Who if anyone has used one of these in a Subaru? and if so, what was done to solve the CV axle to ujoint axle issue? I know everyone says that CV shafts aren't supposed to be cut and rewelded, but in all honesty on an offroad rig I cant really see it being an issue because its not like they get ran down the highway at 65 mph to and from work. Our cars are strickly drive 2 miles from the shop to the flats where we go wheeling.

#2 TOONGA

TOONGA

I divided by zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Australind

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

this thread on a datsun board may be helpful

http://www.ozdat.com...hp?f=29&t=20250

it is a subaru diff into a datsun but it does have some interesting ways of dealing with the shaft problem

TOONGA

#3 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,582 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Im interested to see what works, I would think it would be good to use the Nissan parts with outer hubs, as the subaru axles may end up being the weak link and break

#4 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,529 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

There is another board member interested in the same idea, while I was writing to him about Datsun differentials, I found this interesting info:

~►
http://datsun1200.co...title=R160_Swap

~► http://www.franavehi...minispools.html

#5 czny

czny

USMB is life!

• Silver Subscribers
  • 335 posts
  • Azusa, California

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Scott was considering much the same thing I think. Some 280/300zx diff info is here:http://ultimatesubar...ht=R200 diff EA

#6 iceageg

iceageg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

I believe Nissan used R200 diffs on most of the early Zs and the early V6 S12 style Silvia/200sx/Gazelle models. The 4 cylinder S12s had R180s. I am sure they were used on other models since Nissan's of that era are more or less lego-cars like Subarus. In addition to the links above you should try club-s12.org. There is a fair amount of information about the rear diffs on various models in their archives. If memory serves the first big issue you will run into is the spline count. One manufacturer uses 25, the other 23 so you will have to get creative. I don't remember which is which off the top of my head.

#7 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Gold Subscribers
  • 339 posts
  • Arnhem (The Netherlands)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

I have a R200 plated LSD off a 89 300 ZX Turbo for my 84 Wagon. I also have the Nissan CV axles. I'm going to have new rear axle spindles machined so I can use those beefier Nissan CV's as my wagon is going to have about 300 lb-ft on the rear wheels only...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users