Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When I had my 06 2.5i, it took regular green coolant. I do however think I bought Subaru green coolant since the 2.5 can sometimes be prone to headgasket issues.

The other thing to note, some cars called for an added coolant conditioner to be used. Your local dealer can use your VIN and determine whether it should be used or not.

You're muh better off getting the Subaru Blue/Green stuff. Newer engines are not as forgiving and the plain green glycol stuff can cause corrosion problems that will cost you in the long run.

Mix the Subaru stuff wih distilled water for the best protection against corrosion and mineral deposition.

You can run either one - the long life blue coolant comes pre-mixed so they can control the water purity as part of it's long life rating.

Green is fine if you change it every two years minimum. And 75% cheaper as well. Personally I can't see paying 200% in price for a 60% increase in lifespan. Not an economically sound investment for the return and there are no other reasons to prefer it - it does not harm the engine or other parts of the cooling system to use the green if it is maintained properly.

GD

You can run either one - the long life blue coolant comes pre-mixed so they can control the water purity as part of it's long life rating.

Green is fine if you change it every two years minimum. And 75% cheaper as well. Personally I can't see paying 200% in price for a 60% increase in lifespan. Not an economically sound investment for the return and there are no other reasons to prefer it - it does not harm the engine or other parts of the cooling system to use the green if it is maintained properly.

GD

I agree with GD, I have never had a problem with the green antifreeze, no matter who the manufacturer is. If there ever was a problem, the class action lawyers would try to make it an issue for a class action law suit against the manufacturers. As far as I know, that has never happened.

When I was on Audi and VW forums, I heard the same talk about buying only Audi/VW antifreeze, now on USMB, I am hearing this "buy only" from the dealer advise. All say there is supposed danger in using after market antifreeze. I am not convinced. Makes me wonder if the posters are simply working for the manufacturer, or dealership, and trying to generate some customer traffic and revenue.

The only reason I recommend the Subaru stuff on specific cars is due to Subaru's past history with head gaskets and the 2.5 liter motor. The ej253 is supposedly better than the older 2.5's, but I've heard comments that even the 4th gen (05-09) Legacy 2.5's can potentially have headgasket issues at higher mileage.

On the 2.2's and older motors....I run prestone or the regular green EG antifreeze.

I don't think there is a definitive answer about this. On other Subaru forums many people say that peak global life time is practically the same thing as Subaru coolant. But it is an OAT coolant, and other people say that Subaru’s should never use OAT coolants.

All I have is anecdotal evidence like everyone else. I have been using Peak Global life time for 90,000 miles and I haven’t destroyed my head gaskets, yet. That being said, I will switch to Subaru coolant next time. It’s $20 for a undiluted gallon. So it’s relatively inexpensive, just an inconvenient drive to the dealership

When I was on Audi and VW forums, I heard the same talk about buying only Audi/VW antifreeze, now on USMB, I am hearing this "buy only" from the dealer advise. All say there is supposed danger in using after market antifreeze. I am not convinced. Makes me wonder if the posters are simply working for the manufacturer, or dealership, and trying to generate some customer traffic and revenue.

Actually VW/Audi coolant is different, and doesn't play well with others.

And it's supposed to be "lifetime" just like their ATF. I don't believe in any fluid being "lifetime".

I replace coolant with G12, or now super duper G12 every timing belt at 100k on my TDI's. The VW's I happen to have (early 2000's) are known for wimpy automatic transmissions. Both on the ATF side and the diff side so I do both of those fluids every 40-50k.

My understanding is the OAT's like dexcool tend to sludge up if there is any air in the system. At one time Subaru said specifically not to use OAT based coolants. But that was before the supermagic super blue coolant, which I suspect is OAT based, but they hide behind the 'proprietary trade secret' on the label so it's hard to tell for sure.

'Lifetime' usually refers to the lifetime of the warranty from what I've heard.

Pretty much all High mileage/long life coolant is some form of OAT mixture. The difference between them is basically silicates and phosphates. Does it have one or the other, both, or none. There are other minor additives but those are what determine which coolants you can/should use in a particular car for proper corrosion protection.

Color is hardly an indicator, but I kinda wonder if the "new" Subaru stuff is the same as what Mazda has been using for the past 5 years or so.