Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an 02 with 94K. A month ago, I misaligned the power steering pump bracket when I installed the belt guard so that the pump sucked air and made a lot of noise when turning. I realized my mistake and fixed this within about 24 hr. Most of the noise went away. Someone suggested replacing the fluid with Lucas power steering fluid. I did this, mostly, by repeated draining of the reservoir. This stopped the little noise remaining.

Now, I just started getting odd vibrations and a low level sound when turning. It comes and goes. It feels like the steering piston is grabbing. Even though it feels/sound like a piston resisting movement, I know it could be the pump. The pump squeals when the completely turned right or left but I doubt that's connected.

so what should I do. I don't see any bubbles in the reservoir.

No no these do not take a conventional 'power steering fluid', just ATF. I don't know if the rack will like Lucas 'power steering fluid'. And especially maybe not a mix of ATF and 'power steering fluid' like what si now in there. I think the pump can be damaged if it sucks too much air. Unfortunately new these pumps are $300 plus but of course they are pretty reliable so a wrecking yard pump will probably be fine (if the pump is shot), or there are rebuild kits for the pumps.

Well the squeal could be from a loose belt. I would check that first. I agree with porcupine that Lucas was the wrong product to add to the P/S system. Suggest you drain out all fluid, and put in ATF to get back to what is suppose to be in the system.

If it continues to act up, I would replace with a unit from a wrecking yard. It is an easy swap, and cost less then $50. I did the swap years back on my 91 Subie, so I know how easy it is to replace.

UPDATE

I did something that I hadn't done before. I went up and down my road and moved the steering wheel left/right/left/right, etc and then pulled into my driveway and quickly looked into the reservoir. It was foaming! So I have a leak on the suction, probably from the o rings on the suction tubing. I ordered new o rings and will update when I Install them.

I didn't think that the squealing had anything to do with the problem. It makes sense that its just the relief valve making noise.

UPDATE

I did something that I hadn't done before. I went up and down my road and moved the steering wheel left/right/left/right, etc and then pulled into my driveway and quickly looked into the reservoir. It was foaming! So I have a leak on the suction, probably from the o rings on the suction tubing. I ordered new o rings and will update when I Install them.

I didn't think that the squealing had anything to do with the problem. It makes sense that its just the relief valve making noise.

Hope the new O rings fixes the problem. Let us know.

Sounds good. Hopefully the foaming really is the seal being faulty. I would think it might leak fluid out those areas when the engine is off too if they were truly bad. Hopefully it's not the Lucas steering/ATF cocktail that is in there.

If the squealing was when you were holding the wheel at full lock left or right yes that will make some noise when the bypass opens. Plus when the pump is cranking out 1300psig at that time it presents its maximum load to the drivebelt, so that might potentially slip slightly then too depending on belt condition and how tight it is.

UPDATE

I replaced the o rings and, for good measure, I put a screw radiator clamp on the hose connection and tightened it real good. Problem solved, although it took a while to get all the air our of the system. I could only get the o rings at the subaru dealer. They are I think 13x15 mm and nothing at the hardware is close.

The power steering pump suction is always under vacuum so the suction will not leak any fluid even when pump is not running. It's a bad design in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with adding the Lucas power steering fluid. A Subaru mechanic told me to add it and it did reduce the squealing at full wheel turn.