Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transfer case question

I'm still trying to narrow down what exactly the noise is that is going on underneath my car. Original speculations were a bad throwout bearing, but I'm not so sure anymore..

That original thread is found here

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136960

I'm thinking maybe the transfer case now but I'm still wading in to unknown waters.

The car is my 87 GL in the signature below.

My question after reading up a bit on transfer cases and anything relating to them on this forum as well as on the internet;

Is the transfer case on our cars married to the transmission, or is it a separate unit?

If it is part of the transmission, does is use the transmission gear oil to lubricate?

For example, if I check the dip-stick on my transmission (I love that there IS a dipstick to check it with!) and see that my gear oil is full and looks good, is it safe to assume that my transfer case is just as safe and full of oil?

If the Transfer case is separate, or has a separate supply to lubricate it, how can I check that out?

I'll jump back to my reading now. Happy thanksgiving to all by the way!:headbang:

Subaru's have a "transaxle" that incorporates the transmission, front differential, center differential (if equipped) and transfer case into a single unit. Manual transaxles share 75w90 gear oil through the entire unit.

Your noise sounds like possible driveline u-joint failure.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I'm still trying to narrow down what exactly the noise is that is going on underneath my car. Original speculations were a bad throwout bearing, but I'm not so sure anymore..

That original thread is found here

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136960

I'm thinking maybe the transfer case now but I'm still wading in to unknown waters.

The car is my 87 GL in the signature below.

My question after reading up a bit on transfer cases and anything relating to them on this forum as well as on the internet;

Is the transfer case on our cars married to the transmission, or is it a separate unit?

If it is part of the transmission, does is use the transmission gear oil to lubricate?

For example, if I check the dip-stick on my transmission (I love that there IS a dipstick to check it with!) and see that my gear oil is full and looks good, is it safe to assume that my transfer case is just as safe and full of oil?

If the Transfer case is separate, or has a separate supply to lubricate it, how can I check that out?

I'll jump back to my reading now. Happy thanksgiving to all by the way!:headbang:

1st and cheap-check u-joints-its free and easy....then change the trans oil and watch when you drain it starts out clean and goes grey-dark and has a bunch of metal on the plug then I would lean to the trans,and you said its been popping out of gear-thats a no-no......I"ve seen the 5spd"s have issues w/diff.bearings so I"d go w/a yard trans if you find 1 w/low miles I.E.my 84yr.old gramma drove it to the store after church Yea Right-I live n colo. That entails mud road+45miles :headbang:

To check out the u-joints, all I have to do is feel for play in the driveshaft, right?

I know I don't know much about drive-trains (yet) but my gut is telling me it's not the u-joints. It's just such a ...rattling, spinning noise..and it does it while I'm stationary and/or moving.

About the popping out of gear, that hasn't been happening as much lately. The only reason I can account to that changing is that it has been warmer lately than it was at the time.

Thanks for all the input guys, and thanks for the explanation GD

To check out the u-joints, all I have to do is feel for play in the driveshaft, right?

I know I don't know much about drive-trains (yet) but my gut is telling me it's not the u-joints. It's just such a ...rattling, spinning noise..and it does it while I'm stationary and/or moving.

About the popping out of gear, that hasn't been happening as much lately. The only reason I can account to that changing is that it has been warmer lately than it was at the time.

Thanks for all the input guys, and thanks for the explanation GD

To check u-joints, Yes grab at the end-close to joint and see if has play. When they get BAD it"ll go clinkclinkclink w/clutch in coasting,SHOT!! Now to the noise...2 things to check and the way to check them. You said stationary or moving so 1 the throwout bearing or 2 bearings in the trans going. 1 break out the spare tire and wrenches...you need to get to the clutch cable\fork hence the tire goes out, wrench time-loosen up the adjust nut on the clutch cable and the 1 on the hill holder cable too- you need to get the fork loose so you can make sure the throwout bearing IS NOT on the press.plate. Start it up and listen to it-making sure throwout bearing is off the clutch if noisy then trans bearings if no noise put throwout bearing up against the clutch and listen again one or the other is going bad. noise or not that is the question... good luck! Nate