Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pressure light & Oil temp light ON.

165Kmiles; 1998 subaru outback 2.5DOHC=

my friend is over my house for his problem roughly idle. The engine randomly shuts down during a drive in city-- 'when stop light or stop sign'.
In addition I smell something burning as if overheating (seem oil pump failaure) OR (Catalytic Converter failure). The oil pressure light is on and oil temp light too.Plus, there is a light MIL code is O2 sensor failure and VVS.

crankshaft/camshaft sensor is good ohms; 1.9K.

not entierly sure what the sorcery of this is.

Edited by Suba_GL_87

seems that there could 2-3 problems with the car but the oil pressure really needs to be addressed immediately.

Someone here will be able to tell you how/where to attach an oil pressure gauge, but, in the mean time, check the oil pan for dents. perhaps the pickup in the pan has been damaged or partly blocked by something banging into the oil pan. I'd double check the car's voltage.  i suppose you could consider a new oil sending unit.

You should know that , oil pressure senders are set at a very low pressure, 4-5 psi. get that fixed.

One source of a burning smell could be grease or fluid on the exhaust. Check for split CV boots - often the inner boot. They sling nasty smelling grease onto the exhaust.

You would be surprised how many people do not think of checking the oil.

Did the oil look and smell ok?

You can get a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge for testing purposes, or you can mount it on the dash someplace if you want.

Oil pressure right now trumps all other issues. 

Is there any sign of oil leaking at the front of the engine?

check alt and alt and alt chageing voltage ? berring failure ? have had 10 bad remand alts fail in thiss last year mostly bosch they rebiuld them and dont chage the berrings so berrings fail soon after rebiuld anyway should have 14.50 max no higher and no lower than 14volts have seen alot charging at 13.00 is to low means one bad diode and overloads the other diodes and burns wireing inside alt

• Like 1

ok, got you for everyone.

*Alt- is good voltage!

*smell like really burn there is (inside the timing belt cover) also engine very hot. when i was oil cap out and there steaming out. Coolant level is good.

* no leaky oil area...Oil pan gasket drip (normal)

*CV joint boots; no tearing...i know what you meaning a issue, but nothing there.

i have to check oil pressure. But no where if i can loan tool for oil pressure guage.

This doesnt look good. I was hoping for an oil leak, a large one.

YOu can buy an oil pressure gauge for less then 20 bucks, but if an engine is failing from poor oil pressure, that burning smell is what you get. 

The engine being hot, is that a observation or from the engine temp gauge on the dashbaord?

What does the coolant in the radiator look like?

What noises are the engine making?

AT OIL TEMP indicates failure with transmission. My light stays flashing as soon as key is turned on. Most failures, as I have read where cause by someone using a floor jack on the fluid pan and shorting out or damaging solenoid a. In my case I had a engin replaced