Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 subaru gl 1.8 4 wheel drive.Making clunking and popping noises in front end.Took it to mechanic who said axle shaft going into differential is real loose and causing the noise.He is not a transmission man he said and does not know how to fix it.I need your help! What is wrong and how to fix it.Need car to get to work.Both front cv axle shafts have been replaced.      It is the transmission stub that is real loose.

Edited by used car

Both cv axles have been replaced.

Wheel bearings been inspected? also had the washers replaced ? If not that could be part of the problem.  Or do you mean the stubs coming off the transmission are loose?

There will be a little slack on the axle stub. make sure the roll oin is in place. Make sure the axle nut is installed properly with the flat (spring) washer is installed with the convex side towards the nut.

loose bearings is vague to detect with the traditional wiggle of the wheel. You should consider the wheel bearings as this would have been done during install of the axles.

Wheel bearings been inspected? also had the washers replaced ? If not that could be part of the problem.  Or do you mean the stubs coming off the transmission are loose?

Yes it is transmission stubs that are loose. Thanks NTR 

Like MilesFox typed, it is common to have some looseness at the tranny stubs..

Another common thing is for the axle to get loose in the hub splines, either from the dished washer being installed incorrectly, or from the axle not being fully seated when they were installed.  Check the dished washer and retorque the axle nut and see if this makes a difference.

mayhaps you got one turbo axle.. N/A axles are 23 spline, turbos are 25.. they can be installed and the roll pin inserted but will wobble a lot. its a big maybe but it happened to me. but my  car is a turbo that had a N/A transmission installed.

It is normal for the stub to wobble inside the trans.

If anything, it means the Circlip that holds the stub into the spiders is a bit worn.

DO NOT adjust the bearing cups trying to tighten these up.  That will tighten the bearings, and the diff carrier, but the stubs themselves are held by circlips into the spiders.  They are what they are, and there is no way to tighten them up.  If the play is truely excessive, replacing the diff carrier is the only option.  I've never needed to do this.

If you're getting click clack from the axle area, it's likely the axles....even if they are new.  At least 1 in 3 "new" axles make noise out the box.

Why don't you remove the CV joint, and then remove the keeper that holds the bearing?  Don't be too surprised if the bearing is completely shot, as you suspected.  

This isn't the problem.  Unless the diff is run completely out of oil the sidebearings will be fine.  They hardly ever wear, let alone become "completely shot".  The gears will fail from low fluid way before the bearings will.

As I said.  The Bearing cup tightens or loosens the DIFF CARRIER side bearings.  The diff bearing isn't the issue, it's the slop between the stubs, and the spiders they slip into INSIDE the diff carrier.  There is no way to tighten this without replacing the spiders and stubs.  Even brand new ones have a bit of wobble. 

Properly done, there wouldn't be any harm in inspecting the bearings.  PROPERLY DONE, is the key.  Messing with the bearing cups without knowing what your doing, or without marking and reinstalling properly, is a quick way to ruin your ring & pinion.

To the OP......I'm telling ya, new axles commonly make noise.  If you've got a reciept, I'd try taking it back and trading for another.

Edited by Gloyale

I noticed lateral slop in my rear axles. I noticed that the pass. side axle had more slop side to side than the driver's side.

I first checked the axles because there was an occasional clunking noise coming from the rear.

5 months later my rear axle broke. (pass side)

Replace your axles. Or remove them.

Yeah my stubs move around a bit too.  I'd say as long as the seals aren't leaking I wouldn't worry about it.

I did a quick google search and I found this video.  He didn't have any luck tightening up his axles by adjusting the diff.  That's because the diff isn't the reason the axles are loose.  By tightening the one side he adjusted the backlash of ring and pinion and the preload on the carrier bearings.  These are fairly precise things that should be adjusted with care.

Is your movement more than shown in that video?  In the video it didn't look unusual to me.

To properly adjust the backlash of the diff carrier you'll need to tear into the trans.  At the least you'll need to remove the tail housing so you can turn the pinion. There's no need to do this as it's not something that needs to be adjusted as long as it's built correctly.

I have had plenty of fresh reman axles make noise.