Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy Outback Headgasket leak

Hi all, thanks for reading. I have a head gasket leak in my Legacy Outback Limited (I believe a 2.4) and I decided to fix it myself. I've looked for videos online and have not found anything all that useful. If you can help me out or know a video that can do the same it would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost at 200k so I'm thinking I'll do the timing belt while I'm in there (I have heard that I'll be in a good position to replace the timing belt during this job). The gasket is not blown or cracked (I think). There is oil collecting in the coolant overflow tank. I just replaced the O2 Sensor and after a month started getting the code for that again. A person I talked to that has done a bit of work on Subarus told me that the problem there could be the catalytic converter and that could be caused by a head gasket problem. He told me to check the coolant overflow and if there is oil in it that would point to a head gasket leak. He also said that it is a relatively easy job but is not available to ask for help as he is someone that don't actually know but just met by chance and got some quick advice. This also does make his advice questionable as I'm not 100% sure if he knows what he is talking about (although he seemed very knowledgeable  on the subject). I do have a friend helping but he has only done this on other cars and not a Subaru. Any help I coluld get would be amazing, thank you!

VERY common problem.

Search here.  My favorite guide was from a link form skipnospam@comcast I believe.

I recomment OEM Head Gaskets.

You folks here usually do a complete timing belt kit and reseal the bafflet plate and leave the rear main alone.

It sounds like you have the 2.5, check the overflow for air bubbles as well, that is another way they fail and sometimes on some years they leak oil externally I'm not sure which years. Searching should give you all the info you need, look for engine code on the passenger side of engine near the front of the block next to the p.s. pump it should say either ej22 or ej25, ej22 is 2.2, ej 25 is 2.5

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get this problem fixed .I have 08 legacy diesel which also has oil getting into expansion bottle not sure what is causing it. Would really be helpful if you could let me know if it was the head gasket that was  the problem with your car

you have not mentioned any typical EJ25 headgasket issues - it does not sound to me like you have a headgasket problem.  the guy you talked to does not know Subaru's - this motor does not leak oil into the coolant, it would be highly abnormal and atypical.  the coolant reservoir is probably simply dirty with oil, crud, debris from decades of use, unless it's a one owner summer garage queen most of them look dirty and oily by now even if they're running perfectly.

if you're not overheating then i wouldn't change the headgasket without further diagnosis - which i suggest you get from here, not some random guy you just met.  best to have Subaru specific advice - particularly for that engine.

Hi all, thanks for reading. I have a head gasket leak in my Legacy Outback Limited (I believe a 2.4) and I decided to fix it myself. I've looked for videos online and have not found anything all that useful. If you can help me out or know a video that can do the same it would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost at 200k so I'm thinking I'll do the timing belt while I'm in there (I have heard that I'll be in a good position to replace the timing belt during this job). The gasket is not blown or cracked (I think). There is oil collecting in the coolant overflow tank. I just replaced the O2 Sensor and after a month started getting the code for that again. A person I talked to that has done a bit of work on Subarus told me that the problem there could be the catalytic converter and that could be caused by a head gasket problem. He told me to check the coolant overflow and if there is oil in it that would point to a head gasket leak. He also said that it is a relatively easy job but is not available to ask for help as he is someone that don't actually know but just met by chance and got some quick advice. This also does make his advice questionable as I'm not 100% sure if he knows what he is talking about (although he seemed very knowledgeable  on the subject). I do have a friend helping but he has only done this on other cars and not a Subaru. Any help I coluld get would be amazing, thank you!

Did you get this problem fixed .I have 08 legacy diesel which also has oil getting into expansion bottle not sure what is causing it. Would really be helpful if you could let me know if it was the head gasket that was  the problem with your car

first - i wouldn't trust anything in this post - as i just mentioned, his description does not sound like headgaskets and sounds like simply a 15+ year old reservoir that's contaminated due to nothing more than age and nearing a quarter million miles (a lot of KM's for you foreign countries)....he hasn't really described any actual symptoms.

and about the engines.  his engine has engine specific headgasket issues which are not likely to be mirrored by yours, i would follow your own thread. ....edit - i see your thread now.

Edited by grossgary