Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Legacy clutch and timing belt, need help

2001 legacy clutch timing belt help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 luko

luko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Wayne, NY AKA Upstate NY

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

What I have is a 2001 legacy sedan and what I need is a good clutch and timing belt kit. My car has 113xxx on her and the clutch is on her way out and while I have the engine out I want to do the timing belt and everything because it was last done at 50,000 so I figured on just doing everything at once so I don't have to worry about it for another 100,000 miles.

But what I want to find out is what is a good clutch but nothing to expensive, also what is a good timing belt kit

Thanks, Luke 

#2 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 663 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Exedy, http://www.amazon.co...&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

And Gates makes a good timing kit. Replace it all though if your going to do it, hate to see you down the road in 20k with a blown idler bearing or smacking tensioner.
Double cheap my search with your exact make and model.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,489 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

+1 Exedy. Exedy Daikin makes the factory original clutch.

Gates makes a good timing belt kit, though they're usually a bit pricey.
Look for The Import Experts on eBay, or you can go to their website. They sell timing kits with everything you need at competitive prices.
Be sure to replace everything while you have it apart, belt, all of the idlers, tensioner, water pump, replace the front crank and camshaft oil seals, and the o-ring behind the oil pump. You should also check the screws on the backing plate of the oil pump to make sure they are tight.
When reassembling be sure to get the crank pulley bolt VERY tight, about 140 ftlbs, otherwise it could loosen and cause damage to the end of the crank.

#4 luko

luko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Wayne, NY AKA Upstate NY

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Okay, Thanks for your input! 

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,643 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

Import Experts on Ebay - they have the best prices on decent quality.  some of the cheaper kits on ebay seem less robust, having installed multiple sets from various suppliers.

They will also allow you to contact them and add or take out any parts you want and essentially create your own kit.

While you're in there around the timing belt, for a reliable 100,000 miles you'll want to: 
replace timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner

reseal the oil pump (one oring from Subaru and anaerobic or appropriate RTV sealant around the pump case)

replace crank seal and 2 cam seals

replace the water pump - use a Subaru water pump gasket - the aftermarkets are cheap cardboard junk and prone to leak

replace the thermostat - use Subaru or XACTA from Stant, the others are visually inferior.

If it has a plastic rear separator plate you'll want to replace that and probably reseal the existing one if it's metal.  They crack/leak and it's easily done with the engine out for a clutch job.

Rear main seal issues in Subaru's are nearly bullet proof and never leak so make your own call on that.  Just be sure to install it exactly right and use a Subaru or Subaru quality seal - they are less forgiving than any other seal on unclean installs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users