Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

uses fuel pumps

fuel pump hard to start after fueling

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 elsrr135756

elsrr135756

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Decatutr, Alabama

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

I drive a 1998 Subaru Legacy Postal station wagon with well over 160,000 miles - odometer quit working. I deliver mail from this vehicle, and have had to replace the fuel pump about every other year. What would cause the fuel pump to go bad so often? The car still sputters, once in a while, when I accelerate.

Another problem I have - don't know if it is related - is after I put gas in the car, it will not start the first time I turn the key. The second time I turn the key it starts, but idles very low, and eventually reaches the correct idle speed. Any ideas what causes this problem?  :(

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Welcome to the USMB.

You mentioned the odometer quite working.  Does the speedo still work? 

Have you verified the fuel pumps are actually bad?  Are you replacing them with pumps from the autoparts store?

#3 elsrr135756

elsrr135756

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Decatutr, Alabama

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

The speedo does not work - I use a GPS to monitor speed. The original transmission lasted 145,000, and the speedo quit 25,000 on the replacement transmission.

The pumps are bad, and I get them from autoparts stores.

#4 luko

luko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Wayne, NY AKA Upstate NY

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Check the connections on top of the sending unit

#5 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,946 posts
  • NH

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

If they are airtex brand pumps, they suck.

#6 elsrr135756

elsrr135756

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Decatutr, Alabama

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

The connections are good on the sending unit. 

I just installed an Airtex brand pump, I don't know what brand the other pump was.

#7 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,825 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Plugged fuel filter will cause the pump to draw more current than normal and wear out quicker.

I would check for proper voltage at the pump w/everything connected as well.

Edited by naru, 15 September 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#8 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

You need to get the speedo working again, as the ECU goes into a minor "limp" mode.  I'm not saying that is causing the fuel pump to go out, but can cause drivability issues.

The common failure point on the auto trans cars is the base pieces that screws into the trans.  They are pretty easy and cheap to replace (assuming the 98 has a cable driven speedo...)  Here's a pic of the base piece.

www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/speedocablebase.jpg

#9 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,043 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Speedometer drive went all electric in 95.

#10 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,065 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

replace the fuel filter, maybe it's clogged and putting too much strain on the pump.

i'd look for low mileage used pumps before going with aftermarkets, they aren't known for being robust and lasting a long time like the subaru ones and new Subaru pumps are insanely expensive.

i would doubt the VSS is the cause.

#11 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

+1 check conections on top of sending unit

#12 elsrr135756

elsrr135756

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Decatutr, Alabama

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

I measured the voltage, with car running, on the red/black wire and it read battery voltage. Any other voltages to check?

I will get a new fuel filter next week.

#13 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,043 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Did you remove the connector and check for corrosion or loose connection?
Did you check voltage on the ground side to check for poor ground?

As was said before, parts store fuel pumps are crap, but a loose connection will cause the pump to pull higher amps than normal. Higher amp draw will cause it to burn out early.

#14 luko

luko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Wayne, NY AKA Upstate NY

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Run a voltage drop test from the connector on top of the sending unit with it plugged on to the sending unit to the relay with the key on. The DVOM should read 0 or no more than 1 volt at the very most 

#15 elsrr135756

elsrr135756

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Decatutr, Alabama

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well, another cheap fuel pump bit the dust - lasted 1 month. Could the fuel pressure regulator cause the fuel pump to go bad. The car does good at idle, but when I give it some gas it starts to sputter then drives fine for awhile, then sputters when I step on the gas on the highway - or is it the cheap fuel pump?

#16 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Try this pump is 260 lpr Carter p74152HP have been useing it on turbo cars to bring up the feul volume

#17 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,065 posts
  • WV

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

did you replace the fuel filter? 

doubt a fuel pressure regulator could affect the pump.

aftermarket pumps are not that stellar...i'd get a used low mileage OEM unit, they easily make 200,000 miles and are more reliable than an aftermarket probably.

www.car-part.com

if it's sputtering - check the fuel pressure at the engine...that will ***immediately*** tell you if it's fuel delivery related or not.  would be nice to know after all this time/work.

Edited by grossgary, 24 October 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#18 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,825 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well, another cheap fuel pump bit the dust - lasted 1 month. Could the fuel pressure regulator cause the fuel pump to go bad. The car does good at idle, but when I give it some gas it starts to sputter then drives fine for awhile, then sputters when I step on the gas on the highway - or is it the cheap fuel pump?

It is obviously not the pumps.

Regulator COULD hold the pressure too high increasing pump workload,but ,it is not that.

The fuel strainer in the tank is restricted and/or the pumps are sucking dirt.

#19 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Had a forester with a water bubble hanging around the pump screen made a nice pocket around the pu screen and whould not let feul into pump. '" it keeps surging but gets better when i turn " the pocket that pump sits in if crap gets in is very hard for it to get out. Try somthing simple like a bottle of gasline anti freeze

#20 elsrr135756

elsrr135756

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Decatutr, Alabama

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

took out the pump and looked in the gas tank - less than 1/4 tank - and looks like real fine dirt on the bottom. any way to get this dirt out? is there a better way to seal around the fuel pump gasket?

#21 elsrr135756

elsrr135756

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Decatutr, Alabama

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

where would I check the fuel pressure at? I couldn't find an access port on the fuel rail - is it hidden, or is there no access port?

fuel filter was recently replaced

#22 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

You need to install a tee in the fuel line after the fuel filter.  Unfortunately there is no port to tie into.

#23 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,746 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Had a forester with a water bubble hanging around the pump screen made a nice pocket around the pu screen and whould not let feul into pump. '" it keeps surging but gets better when i turn " the pocket that pump sits in if crap gets in is very hard for it to get out. Try somthing simple like a bottle of gasline anti freeze

Not long ago, I got some bad gas that had water in it. Not a lot, but enough to affect driveability. Instead of using dry gas, I added a gallon of E-85 to a full tank of gas. The alcohol in the E-85 did a great job of fixing the problem. I think galline anti-freeze is contains mostly alcohol. So, I thought the E-85 would work.

#24 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • KY

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Take a look at the return line. May be restricting return flow. Seems to me the pumps are being worked to death. 

#25 elsrr135756

elsrr135756

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Decatutr, Alabama

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

decided to take apart the old fuel filter to see what was inside, and found the filter material was black - also some gas came out of the intake nozzle, of the fuel filter, and it was black. could the fuel line be going bad, or is this normal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users