Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1999 Impreza brakes mess

Impreza brakes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paulbellefeuille

paulbellefeuille

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Kingston NH

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

My wife recently bought a 1999 Impreza wagon with 77,000 miles on it. Private sale. I noticed that the brakes were a little soft so today I decided to do a brake job on it.
I was surprised to find that it had drum brakes in the back. Here's where it gets weird. The front right pads were completely worn out and they were original Subie pads.
The driver's side had replacement pads from Autozone and they looked almost new. The rear shoes were almost new. What puzzles me most is why only the left front pads were replaced and why didn't they exhibit more wear?  Were the right fronts doing all the work? The car didn't pull when the brakes were applied; I just thought that they needed to be done due to a soft pedal. :huh:

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,859 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Someone really did a half rump roast brake job on it.

Put a fresh set of new pads on the front and bleed all of the lines. With that mileage its about double overdue for new brake fluid if it wasn't changed at 30k.

(The new bad word filters are creative :lol: )

Edited by Fairtax4me, 18 September 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,825 posts
  • Texas

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

possibly some parts from a wrecking yard were swapped in on one side?

#4 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

What puzzles me most is why only the left front pads were replaced and why didn't they exhibit more wear?  Were the right fronts doing all the work? The car didn't pull when the brakes were applied; I just thought that they needed to be done due to a soft pedal. :huh:

Probably just swapped out just one side to eliminate the noise prior to the sale. Usually just a cheap fix. If one of the calipers seized it can wear one side very quickly, but you would notice this when driving the car.

Agreed that if you replace both front sets, you should be fine. You're probably just following up on a cheap fix from the previous owner. Bleed the brakes and check for leaks if the pedal remains soft. Or if the fluid looks ugly. Brakes are one of the more essential preventative maintenances to be made - particularly since it's your wife's car.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,914 posts
  • WV

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

yep, sounds like it was pad slapped by some jack rump roast with minimum effort.  odd since i've never seen one set of pads for sale, they only come in sets.  they just tossed the others away...or saved them for the next subaru, LOL?

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,914 posts
  • WV

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

ha ha, i tried out that filter fairtax, to see what it would do. i generally never type like that anyway...i should start trying that stupid codswalloping spoob more often and see what it does...like right now....oh i can't want to hit post, where is it...  edit...i need to go to bed, i should not be laughing this hard at this. lol

Edited by grossgary, 19 September 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#7 paulbellefeuille

paulbellefeuille

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Kingston NH

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

thanks for all your help. it appears that the 'quick fix' was indeed what happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users