Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need help with my loyale

so about 4 months ago I changed the timing belt on my ea82. it was my first time doing so on this car and after failing and haveing a face palm moment. I watched miles fox's videos and did it right. now about 2 weeks ago I go to start my car before work and nada battery's dead. get a new battery after work and try again it acted like is broke a timing belt again so I look, and the damn thing had seperated so I go get a it replaced at napa they say they had never seen that before. put the new one on and button everything up and start it and it ran like an off balance washing machine. and the oil pressure shot to the top of the gauge. what do I do ? what's wrong?

never messed with the pressure sender and yep did the 3 hash's not the numbers put the driver side on first then rotated crank 360 and lined up the passenger.

If you put the drivers belt on & rotated the motor 360° you rotated it too much. Take the belt of the cam pulleys, line the cams up, put the driver belt on, rotate 180° then put the passenger belt on, & rotate the motor until you see the 0 mark on the flywheel. Tighten your belts up & you should be solid.

If you put the drivers belt on & rotated the motor 360° you rotated it too much. Take the belt of the cam pulleys, line the cams up, put the driver belt on, rotate 180° then put the passenger belt on, & rotate the motor until you see the 0 mark on the flywheel. Tighten your belts up & you should be solid.

This is false. Dude has it right by his description. I see how you mean there, but one cam is loaded if you put them out of phase and install both simultaneously. The video/procedure has you do them one at a time so the am is not pre loaded and slip from spring tension.

I would rule out the timing is wrong, but  i would rule in the spark plug wires may be mixed.

rotation is ocunterclockwise, 1-3-2-4

cylinder arrangement when looking at the motor from the front of the car:

3 4

1 2

yeah that's how I did it the first time I replaced them Miles and drove for 4 months just fine. so I know I did the sequence correctly even watched ur video again to be sure. I'll check wires tomorrow. also the driver can was super hard to turn more than when I originally had done the job even with the pin tool it did not want to turn easily unlike the passenger can

Napa has some really cheap timing belts and some good timing belts. The cheap ones do not last long, as I understand. Napa also does not necessarily rebuild everything that they claim is rebuilt. If they take it in as a core deposit and it seems to work OK, they may just clean it, paint it and put it back on the shelves.

There are 2 belt tensioners and a cogged idler on the ea82.   Make sure you replace all 3 when you replace your timing belts.  

Imagine if the bearings 'freeze' up on any of those tensioners or idler.... Your timing belt won't last very long.

Not too tight on the belt tension.    Lose the plastic covers... so you can see what's going on... and quickly replace the 'next' set of timing belts.   Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

figured out the geiser of oil was coming from the oil filter not the dip stick. changed the filter and new oil still the oil pressure rockets to 85 when I start the car :(

any ideas?

probably the oil pressure sending unit is out, easy replacement, and not much money.