Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil Dipstick

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jowens

jowens

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Independence

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:28 AM

We have a '90 Legacy and have the hardest time reading the oil dipstick. You can't tell where the oil level is, so you don't know whether it needs oil or not. Any suggestions?

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:50 AM

Clean the burnt oil from the dipstick... and repost this question in the new gen forum.. very few people actually look here :)

#3 jimmyberka

jimmyberka

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:53 PM

I have the same problem with my '90 Legacy Wagon. I make sure it has been setting for some time, and then put the dipstick in and take it out about ten times, each time wiping it clean of oil. Even then it is sometimes a problem getting the same reading in consecutive "dips". Anyone else have a sure fire solution ?

#4 Reason01

Reason01

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • USA

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:16 PM

At least you guys get some sort of reading. I have to wrestle with it because it seems to bind somewhere halfway down. Im sure they all arent like this, if so NICE DESIGN! Should I just go out and buy a new dipstick assembly?

#5 teppichkopf

teppichkopf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:18 PM

My dipstick doesn't bind in the tube but does hit one of the hoses when I'm putting it in. Kind of hoeky. I have to wrestle the dipstick around the hose. But I always get a reading by the second try.

-cl

#6 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:42 PM

Sanding the end of the dipstick off to a nice shiny surface will make it easier to read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users