Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Who has done this repair? Captive nut broken loose - front transverse bushing link

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

2003 Outback

The captive nut for the front transverse link bushing on the passengers side is broken and free-spinning inside the chassis.  This nut is inaccessible.  It's the rear-most nut.

1. Do you have to drill the floor pan directly above the nut from inside the cabin?  (doesn't seem possible with firewall in the way).

2. Once the initial 5 layers of metal are drilled through that your feet sit on - do you keep drilling?

I drilled/cut through 5 interconnected metal layers all adjacent to each other, where your feet immediately rest and I only see empty space and additional folds of metal 1 - 3 inches (roughly) down in the empty space.

It seems like I'm in a hollow space - an interior side of the chassis (floor pan that i drilled through) filled with additional folds and metal.

Do I continue cutting into one of those folds/metal areas too?

had a thread but wanted an accurate title since few have repaired or seen this and i thought it was simply a stripped bolt at first. http://www.ultimates...t/#entry1187964

#2 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Never mind, unless there's some very compelling suggestions or pictures, I'm going to do this from the outside.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,085 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Perhaps you've entered... The twilight zone...!
0.o

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'd hit the junk yard with a drill and pull the bolt that is stripped and then drill up from the bottom and see where it comes out.  At least you could experiment on a yard car.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

that's a good call but doesn't work well here. no pull it yourself yards and most places don't want you in their yards. last time i asked, they wouldn't let me power up a 2003 to see how many miles were on the electronic odometer...on a vehicle i ended up buying the transmission from, $900 cash in hand....and that one was in the parking lot where customers parked, not even in the yard yet.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Darn I thought maybe someone was perfecting the ejector seat.

#7 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

Year, which arm and which bolt. 

I might be able to check it out for you.  There are a couple of 2000 and 1 2002 in the yard by me.

#8 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

Year, which arm and which bolt. 

I might be able to check it out for you.  There are a couple of 2000 and 1 2002 in the yard by me.

thanks for the offer crazy head! if it's simple, awesome, but don't go out of your way - i'll figure it out next Monday, in one week.

03 Outback - passengers side, outer most (closest to the passengers side door), transverse mount bolt.

the way the floor slopes up it appears as if it would need a longer than standard drill bit, but dunno.

another issue is scale. largest city in the state is 50k people and 2.5 hours away. "cities" are rural towns or suburbs in most states, so there's less of everything. but i'm sure you know that/or have heard me say it before. 

Edited by grossgary, 25 November 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#9 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,403 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

any chance the threads are stripped?

it may be the same problem / solution,

but if you are trying to remove the bolt that could explain the situation.

drill a small hole, on the side?, and tack weld it back in place.

#10 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

any chance the threads are stripped?

drill a small hole, on the side?, and tack weld it back in place.

not a stripped bolt, captive nut has broken loose internally.

i can try drilling a hole first. though it's 180 ft/lbs torque, not sure a hole will yield that good of access for a weld.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users