Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extra length DOJs for Brumby/BRAT?

So I repositioned the control arm mounts to get better camber, and by moving them just 14mm or so outwards I've encounted a problem with the DOJs. They are almost at full extension and one side wants to click now every so often.

Ages ago I remember reading about using ea82 rear DOJs on the rear of ea81s to get more extension, is there anything like this for the front?

What DOJ cup will fit my shafts?

IIRC EA82 doj are about 1/4" longer than EA81 stuff,EJ stuff is about 1/2" longer.So EA82 DOJ's on EA81 shaft would be 6.75 mm longer and EJ stuff would be 12.7 mm longer.If you are pulling out the DOJ with 14 mm extension then the EJ stuff might be your best bet.I think you have to use front axle DOJ on the front axle because rear DOJs are smaller in diameter than the front stuff.I think I had a front axle DOJ go bad on me so I tried to use a rear doj to fix it and it wouldn't work.

EDIT: according to my digital caliper a EA81 front DOJ cup is 76 mm while a legacy rear doj cup is 74.55 mm.So the front is just slightly bigger.I believe the shaft splines are different too between front and rear.

Edited by Uberoo

Ok.

I'll be building up a gearbox for this car so it would make sense to use 25 spline stubs and ej dojs... Now I just have to make sure the joints on my Brumby are compatible with the EJ shafts DOJs I have. So many times I've pulled apart shafts from EA81s finding 3 bearing joints, small 6 ball, large 6 ball, different spline count on shaft itself etc...

I would of have liked to keep the front shafts 23 spline for when an emergency happens and i need a quick fix, but if the EJs are 12mm longer then that's what i need.

Thanks