Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 Swap help needed

Ruby Sue

Hey guys. So I'm planning on doing an ej swap into my ea wagon this summer, and although I was planning on using an ej22, I have easy access to two ej25s. One is a SOHC with an incomplete harness, don't know what it came out of or what year it is. The other is a DOHC sitting in a wrecked 97 legacy, complete. From what I understand, the SOHC is the more desirable of the two. So I'm wondering if i can use the wiring and ecu from the DOHC on the SOHC? Is there anything else I would have to swap to make it work? I've seen people ask similar questions, but couldn't find any answers for my situation, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

not worth it.

you can use the DOHC wiring if you bolt the DOHC heads to the SOHC block.  SOHC block, DOHC heads, intake, and wiring...but then you're loosing the advantage of the SOHC and might as well use the craptastic EJ25 DOHC in the first place.

i'd get the SOHC, the wiring harness shouldn't be that hard to come by.

www.car-part.com

if you were convinced of the EJ22 in the first place, i wouldn't deviate from that plan.  it's 100X better engine and neither are performance mongrel engines.  since EJ25's blow all the time, they are very easy to sell.  if for some strange reason you have "cheap EJ25's", then just sell them, use the cash to buy an EJ22, and pocket the remainder.  sell EJ25 for $500, buy EJ22 for $300...or in your area it would be sell EJ25 for $1,000 and buy EJ22 for $600.  better engine, make money...no brainer.

if you have TWO cheap EJ25's available - sell them both.

Edited by grossgary

• 1 month later...

Why does everyone like the ej22 tho? It's pretty much the exact same motor but with less Hp isn't it?

But much more reliable. Doesn't have the same head gasket issues, and as a rule, holds up to anything you throw at it, much better than the ej25.

Why does everyone like the ej22 tho? It's pretty much the exact same motor but with less Hp isn't it?

Better cooling capacity, Non-interference (pre-97)

Also simpler head design.....smaller, lighter, fits in an EA81 engine bay.

You could easily use the Harness and ECU from the 97 DOHC to run a 95/96 EJ22 just need the EJ22 w/intake.

• 1 month later...

But much more reliable. Doesn't have the same head gasket issues, and as a rule, holds up to anything you throw at it, much better than the ej25.

i have an ej25d but with the 2.2 heads so you might want to do that if you can, im trying to put mine into a 91' loyale i think havent bought the car yet but workin on it, not gonna do the swap right away cuz im just gonna drive it for a while since it gets good gas mileage

but when i do the swap im probably going to need some help since i dont know much about mechanics