Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to get crank timing mark lined up when valves are hanging it up on H6?

My daily driver 2002 H6 has the timing chains removed and cam/crank indexing is suspect.

Crank is at 2pm and moving it either direction it runs into something.
I can't move it from 2pm to 12 noon, it stops about a tooth or so short - presumably touching valves?

Cams are all lined up with marks at 12 noon.

How do i move the crank or cam while making sure I don't have a loaded cam throw a valve into a piston?

Are you positive you have the correct mark on the crank?

A loaded cam means its holding the valves open. The spring pressure of the valve spring is the load. Unloading the cam is when the valves close.

If you need to turn the crank counter clockwise, turn the cams counter clockwise slowly with a wrench or breaker bar so you can control the rate they turn. Set the crank, then slowly turn the cams back.

i unloaded all cams and had the same issue. i thought i was doing this right. seems a mouse filled one of the cylinders with rice. what a debacle. blew it out with cimpressed air. ill leak down test it and im going with it. maybe put some oil in cylinders in case that softens up any rice. may test some rice in a cup see what it does. LOL

Well that's a new one

seriously.  i noticed it because rice came out of the spark plug hole. why can't those #(*)!(*$! drink the antifreeze!

I guess the worst that could happen is a piece could get stuck under an exhaust valve and hang it open.

i'm slightly concerned - there was a significant "notch" hanging up the crank.  even after freeing it up, it still had a noticeable "lump" in the exact same spot while turning the crank.  i could turn it back and forth over this one spot and feel it.  kind of like in a Subaru engine that's sat for a long time and the rings are bound/rusted and stuck in the cylinder.  maybe they peed in there and rusted up the cylinder wall too. LOL

this engine has run perfect with zero issues for the past 100k and has 220k on it, so there's absolutely no question about it's condition.

Maybe some PB would melt it?

that's what i wanted to do - but wouldn't that wash the cylinders?

A few years ago I had picked up a 2.2 from a fellow.  I pressure washed it and then it sat for a month.  I had the same issue, the crank was hitting something.  I use the borescope at work and looked in the cylinders.  Rust had built up on the wall stopping the piston.  I soaked it in trans fluid for a few days and then slowly worked it back and forth until it rotated freely.  

Never had an issue with the engine after that.

Good luck.  

• Like 1

i think the rice will ''cook off'' once you get it running.

but the challenge is to get the alignment right with the rice in the way.

may be a vacuum cleaner while you open and close the valves?

is it only one cylinder?

find a way to open the valves for that one cylinder while leaving the others alone.

I blew it out with compressed air, rice shot out of the spark plug hole.

Then I propped all the exhaust valves open while blowing air directly into the cylinder via a leak down gauge adapter.

The engine still hung and still has a "lump" spot in it when turned over by hand.

I presume it's some kind of build up or surface rust like lmdew mentioned.

I'll be putting some PB Blaster into the cylinder to help break up the rust.  Then rotate the engine a few times and add some oil before buttoning it all up.

PB won't wash the cylinders down. It's still oil, though not ideal. But it will also help loosen and remove any rust.

I recently helped a friend of mine get an Acura running that had sat in a field for about 6 months. Battery was dead so we had to jump it. We had spark and fuel but not enough compression to get it to fire. Loaded up the cylinders with PB (it was the only oil I had) and let it sit for an hour or so. Put the plugs back in it and it fired on the second stoke.