Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Manual trans input shaft seal replacement

Manual Transmission input shaft seal issue problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wagondragon

wagondragon

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Hillsboro Oregon

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

So im trying to replace my manual transmission input shaft seal, and after removing the 3 bolts ive been unable to remove the plate. I cant find anything on it in my manual. 

Its a 5 speed manual dual range trans out of an 87 gl wagon. 

IVe got it about an inch out, but it doesnt seem to be a plate like i thought before its more of a shaft with an oring... im confused, and since i have no guide to go off of.... i need help!

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Should have researched before pulling things apart.  You cannot replace the Input seal on a Dual Range, or any 5spd subaru trans.....without spliting the case.

Now, you've seperated the Dual range gear synchro/collar set.

You will have to open the case to reset the Dual range pieces of the input shaft.

A quick search of the subject will bring you to my writeup on front seal replacement.  It's for a Single range AWD, but the basics are the same.  Notably, you will need to loosen the reverse lockout cylinder to get access to the lockbolt for the shift selector.  Other than that the "splitting" process is the same.

Oh yeah....you will also need to remove the rod along the side of the case for the D/R, and pop the pin out of the lever above the front diff so the case half can slide over the hi/lo selector.

#3 wagondragon

wagondragon

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Hillsboro Oregon

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

Sorry, I cant find anything with the search sometimes... i googled, and searched here...

Could you link me your write up? 

Also do you know where i could find the manual? I read #2 someplace, but i have no context as to what book series that is...

#4 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • North ID

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

The forum search is worthless.

I use google to search the forum.

This is what you need.

http://www.ultimates...al-replacement/

#5 wagondragon

wagondragon

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Hillsboro Oregon

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

Alright, thank you. Has anyone seen the trans manual locally? 

#6 wagondragon

wagondragon

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Hillsboro Oregon

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:24 AM

Haha, so anyone know where i can get a new synchro? 

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

So....You got the box open and the synchro is shot???

if all you did was disassemble it.....you should be able to reassemble the D/R shift collar and synchro.

I can probably post a schematic of the input shaft if you need a visual reference to reassemble.

Got any pictures???

#8 wagondragon

wagondragon

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Hillsboro Oregon

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

Well, when fiddling with it trying to take it apart i tried shoving it back in. ( i know stupid ) And the synchro for the high low got partially sheered. So now im trying to find a replacement. 

I got the halves apart now after viewing your walkthrough. I just need to order the parts, and figure out where i can get a synchro.

#9 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

bummer.

I sold my last set of d/r gears to a board member in Alabama I believe.

Someone here should have them.....or I could give you part #s to try through subaru but might not be avail. anymore.

#10 wagondragon

wagondragon

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Hillsboro Oregon

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

Well, good news is the damage to it isint that bad... my uncle is a machinist and he seems to think after cleaning up some of the surfaces it should still work. Since im not going to be using the high low often if at all, at this point in time. It should only effect the longevity of the part. Which if i dont use it... Wont be an issue. IF its not too much trouble the part number would be great to have to future reference! I asked a local subaru parts department/ dealership about it and they said they dont make them anymore. (assuming we were both on the same page) But it doesnt surprise me that they wouldn't make anymore OEM.

Anyways, thanks. Ill take a picture of it before i put it back in. And ill post here what happens. Wish me luck! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Manual, Transmission, input shaft, seal, issue, problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users