Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale Sputtering/surging/missing when cold... urgent!

Well, this started yesterday, and did it again today. When the engine is cold, after sitting overnight only, it sputters and surges like mad. Under steady acceleration it has no power and bucks like crazy. After about 10 minutes of driving it stops acting up so bad, but still bucks sometimes under hard, steady acceleration (climbing mountains). The check engine light isn't on. I'm thinking this may be a sensor since it only happens when the car is totally cold. I REALLY need to sort this out today as I rely on this car to drive 80 miles a day round trip to work and really can't drive it another day like this.

Nope, haven't done jack to the engine. Haven't done anything engine-wise in the past month except change the oil. This just happened out of the blue. Not so sure if it's an ignition or fuel issue since it only does it when it has been sitting for 8 hours or so.

If you've been getting crap gas like we have, you may need to spray out your throttle body and run some Techron/44K/Seafoam through it. Mine bucked like a bronco until I took the clamp off the intake hose and sprayed down the gunk.