Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap? or not

I have a 2wd 3sp auto loyale and I'm thinking about picking up an xt and doing an engine swap. What differences will there be between my ea82 and one for a 5sp manual with push button 4wd? Just need to decide if its worth it to pick up this body because mine is messed up.

I have a 2wd 3sp auto loyale and I'm thinking about picking up an xt and doing an engine swap. What differences will there be between my ea82 and one for a 5sp manual with push button 4wd? Just need to decide if its worth it to pick up this body because mine is messed up.

It depends what year your car is, what year the xt is, and which engine the xt has... turbo, spider intake, etc...

I,,, would do it just to have an XT!!!

It wouldn't be a direct engine swap though, the XT's are a MPFI system.

You can however, use the short block from your car, and swap the heads, intake, distributor from the XT engine over to it.

There other differences between MPFI, SPFI, Carbed engines. But they can be swapped around and made to run.

Maybe,, someone with more experience, (than me), with the MPFI system, will chime in and give you better info than I can.

Do a search on 4wd conversion to get answers about that part.

The XTs have an almost separate engine harness which runs all the way through the car as the ECU is mounted under the rear parcel shelf.

This harness includes the wiring for the front wiper and maybe one or 2 other things.

But basically, if you can figure out the feeds to & from this harness (power, tacho signal, oil pressure signal, coolant temp signal) that are from the body loom, it could be "simply" laid in your car to run the engine.

Except you'll have a lot of left over wiring from your harness.

The xt has no engine now. I'm going to put my 92 Loyale engine into it.

Won't work without major re-wireing.

The XT heads are dual port intake for MPFI......If you don't have the engine.

Your SPFI eninge is single port, and will not mate to the MPFI setup.

To use the Single port motor ni the XT, you'd be better off putting a Carbed manifold on the Loyale motor then you could run it with just a + wire to the Coil.

if the xt had a wasted motor that needed replaced it wouldn't be that bad, but if the intake heads and everything is missing that's gonna be tough. If you can find a dual port engine in a yard you could p[ul it and use your own bottom end I believe. but it'd be easier to just rebuild that motor and use it in th xt if you're going that far