Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any tips on EA82M build? (EA82T with 9.5:1 compression block)

I'm not saying that a blow-off setup wouldn't work, I just feel like I wouldn't feel very safe if there was propane being vented off under the hood every time I shifted haha (:

And my RallyWagon is really pissin me off lately.. I've tried too much for it not to have even fired at all, I'm trying to find an impco mixer as soon as I can to get my propane setup going

Thanks Jono, that gives me a lot more research to do and a wider search area haha(: my buddy just got a Ford Ranger XL that has propane option and he's getting rid of it so maybe I'll start with that

shame mine did not work as it was very neat and direct return path - the vapours were contained, ducted back post mixer but suspect the back flows caused some distraction for boost pressure. One day may try an electric controlled solenoid set up that reportedly will work ! Many more projects before that day comes  :)

• 7 months later...

so, unexpected events have called upon the build of my EA82M engine finally... i had planned on building this engine long ago but ended up having to move and lost the time/money/space to get into it all

anyways, 3 days ago my performance EA82T froze and 3 of 6 freeze plugs pooped out of the heads.. i had put 50% coolant 50% water but it must not have circulated through the engine, because i had a frozen coolant system (block and lines) and a green slimey unfrozen radiator. i ran it for about 30 seconds or so and it sputtered a bit and sounded funny so i killed it and inspected..... found that my nice new engine with only 14k miles had churned up all the coolant into the crankcase and everywhere else

i dont have much time til snow falls and need my car going asap. so, the mixture of about 10% lucas oil, 40% castrol gtx, and 50% water is almost impossible to get cleaned up at 20 to 30 degrees. i dont wanna risk ruining my nice new block because i cant clean it all out and i dont really have the time to do it properly

until i can find somewhere to get my turbo block flushed/cleaned im going to put my fresh MPFI non-turbo block in place of my freshly dirtied turbo block (9.5:1) compression compared to (7.7:1) compression. im going to get an 02 reading and EGT reading while running it under boost and see how it does(: been 3 days since freeze plugs popped and i already have EA82M ready to drop in.. i soaked my heads, cam carriers, valve covers, turbo coolant lines, water  pump, and oil pump in purple power to get the mixture of oil/water out

now i have a fresh EA82M - 9.5:1 compression, stage 2 turbo cams, 3rd gen heads sightly ported, vf11 turbo (2.5" straight pipe), intercooler, and blow off valve... will update on my 02 readings and EGT readings once i get gauges hooked up.. until then, drivin it like a grandma

I plan on using a mixture gauge, exhaust temp gauge, boost gauge, and will be usinng very high octane gas(:

I know it probably won't last long but if it runs dependable and correct then I'm going to go on a full build with propane 9.5:1 comp ratio and a VF11 turbo.. I just want to know if anyone has done this before and what they did to keep it running good/dependable

And I know all about how turbo engines work... I just wanna build a monster for fun while I daily drive my new CCR EA82T in my loyale(:

Thanks for the replies!!

Thought about e85 for fuel? It has a crazy octane level, or so I've heard.

i got everything hooked up and went for a run today, and was kinda suprised by the numbers i saw! running on premium gas with small amount of additive to increase octane and i started at 22* timing but will be testing different setups

cruising i was sitting at .55 to .65 volts at 02 sensor and i did a boost run and held at 5 psi for a couple miles up hill and my mixture was .75 the entire time :)

so the infamous EA82M will continuallly be modified and tested on now in my RallyWagon!!!

• Like 1