Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch Lock Mechanism issue - won't unlock correctly from key or power locks

Ok, after seeing someone else with a similar type issue getting all kinds of help I figured someone might know what's going on with mine.

Using the key, it won't unlock.

Using the power locks it won't unlock.

But, with the plastic off it appears the lock is not moving all the way.  If I manually flip it both directions it will move, but acts like it's sticking on something halfway unlocked.  

I can unlock it manually at the back of the car (inside) by hand w/ the plastic trim off.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

The outside handle is most likely not all the way in.  

Push the release handle in and then try your locks.

The outside handle mount rusts and restricts the movement of the release  handle, jamming up the works.

I agree its the mechanism, and the outside handle does rust up and get sticky, but I have found that inside the door there is a small pivot point that rusts up badly and lubing the outside handle won't make it in to lube that point.  Remove the inner panel and work the latch, lube up any moving part of the linkage inside ,sometimes removing them and sanding works wonders.  Don't just rely on a wd-40 product , use a spray white lube that will stick around and help keep the rust away.

This is what my loc mechanism looks like.  I don't remember whether that's in the lock/unlock position (would have to go look).  Lubing is probably a good idea, but I don't really have any rust on the car (other than the spare tire slot and only surface rust there).  You can see where the rod goes onto that flip switch.  That lever/switch is what seems to bind about halfway between both.

20150412_123849.jpg

I once had a car (Mitsubishi) that had an odd problem. When I unlocked the hatch, the latch would would sometimes 'bounce back'/rebound enough to 'half-way' lock back again. I had to fiddle with tiny adjustments and slightly bending a part until it was reliable.

But I doubt that is related if the key doesn't unlock it.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I should update that I found the problem.  The electronic lock is now completely dead, it was only partially dead before.  Somehow when being partially dead it was causing problems with the key being able to turn the rod all the way.

Right now I can lock/unlock with the key and the electronic lock does nothing now, I can live with that until I replace it.