Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For anyone who says that Subies have a fuel mileage penalty for AWD, I beg to differ.

Month:  May

Temps: 60's warming to about 80 before clouding up and cooling back down.

Speed:  55 mph set by cruise control

Area, Portage, WI, to Fargo, ND.

20150513_174800_001_zpscqazqazh.jpg

Nope, that's steady state level ground travel, if anything it's a slight increase in elevation between Portage and Fargo.  It was higher at one point, but the weather had started to turn with the winds picking up and turning into a headwind as I was nearing Fargo.

So what year, model, engine, tranny were you driving?

2015 Subaru Impreza 2.0 base model with the CVT.  I've also noticed that as the engine has been breaking in (7500 miles on it now) a bit more of that Subaru sound has been sneaking back into the engine note.  :)

Probably in ideal circumstances you can get excellent mileage especially with those superlative newer models.  The winter with the fuel mixes and oxigenation it is always worse.  I'm getting around 25 mpg even with a bad head gasket apparently.  Also speeds affect mileage, or used to; the higher the speed the worse the mpg

Those readings are consistently off by 2 to 3 MPG, but even with that your talking 48mpg. ;)

I'll bet Wolfman travels the speed limit, steading easy acceleration, and things like that.  

A good example:

I took my Durango to Reno night before last.  Having left late (8PM) for that drive I rushed.  I was averaging 70mph in areas of 55mph, and if it was 65mph I was doing 80mph.  Using the cruise I still managed to pull off 17mpg though.

Here's the kicker.  On the way back I was moving slow, for various reasons, and I was watching my readouts (like what he has posted above) and I averaged over 21mpg on a 4.7l V8 from 30 miles outside of Reno to Boise, ID.

The difference?  My average speed was closer to 55mph than 75mph like the night before.  

Most vehicles and there transmissions, including newer ones, are optimized for economy at the posted speed limit.  They are also designed for steady acceleration, not rapid take offs, etc...  

It's all in the way you drive. :)

Oh, and my Durango is a 2001 with 200k miles on the engine, so it has less to do with the age of the car as it has to do with how you drive.

Edited by lstevens76

Those readings are consistently off by 2 to 3 MPG, but even with that your talking 48mpg. ;)

I'll bet Wolfman travels the speed limit, steading easy acceleration, and things like that.  

A good example:

I took my Durango to Reno night before last.  Having left late (8PM) for that drive I rushed.  I was averaging 70mph in areas of 55mph, and if it was 65mph I was doing 80mph.  Using the cruise I still managed to pull off 17mpg though.

Here's the kicker.  On the way back I was moving slow, for various reasons, and I was watching my readouts (like what he has posted above) and I averaged over 21mpg on a 4.7l V8 from 30 miles outside of Reno to Boise, ID.

The difference?  My average speed was closer to 55mph than 75mph like the night before.  

Most vehicles and there transmissions, including newer ones, are optimized for economy at the posted speed limit.  They are also designed for steady acceleration, not rapid take offs, etc...  

It's all in the way you drive. :)

Oh, and my Durango is a 2001 with 200k miles on the engine, so it has less to do with the age of the car as it has to do with how you drive.

Speed was 55 mph. The vast majority if the time when I travel, I keep my speeds down.  I've found that the higher speeds do not gain the amount of time that one would think.  Much of the gains are lost by having to stop more often for fuel, and to simply get out of the car and take breaks due to the fact that it tends to wear you out faster.  I have noted time and time again, having the very same vehicles passing me over and over again during the day as they eat up their gains in more frequent stops.  Being slower means lower operating temperatures for the tires, allowing them to last longer, reduced stresses on vehicle components, also increasing their lifespans, and reducing those maintenance and repair costs. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took another road trip in Scooby last weekend.  My slow as you go driving technique was very nicely augmented by a stiff tailwind.  I was pleased to see this. 

20150717_132215_001_zps5ddy6aj7.jpg

Drive was Williston, ND to Grand Forks ND.  Speed was 55 mph and a cool cloudy day making A/C not needed.  I had a strong tailwind so I do know that this is not typical even with my driving style.  It's still fun to see though.  I love this car. :)