Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 2006 impreza and the rubber ring is going out on my harmonic balancer like someone tried to take it off by grabbing the outer ring now it wobbles and i live 40 miles from town. it came this way from the dealership when i bought it last friday. it will cost me 100 bucks for them to look at it and tell me the same thing. i can buy me a new one for that price a put it on myself. so what years will interchange with this part.

I'm pretty sure any from 2000 up will fit. 

Do NOT drive it!!!!   When the pulley wobbles, your crank is moving front to rear in the case (called crank walk).  This can destroy the entire engine! 

I would be having a VERY serious conversation with that dealership, the BBB, the local dealer's board and anyone else who will listen because their refusal to even look at it without charging you (way too much, I might add) is literal highway robbery. 

Emily

look it up in www.car-part.com and see what all years interchange.

look up a crank pulley on ebay and see what other years it lists.

look it up on opposed forces.  then you can click on what all years it cross references too. 

those aren't the complete story necessarily, but a starting point.  often times a part isn't listed in those places as compatible or interchangeable even though it is.

with a couple minutes of searching you'll know - but EJ crank pulleys are all very similar.  i feel like 1990 - 2004 are all interchangeable but maybe I'm forgetting something.

if it's actually loose you can zip self tapping sheet metal screws between the outer and inner ring to cinch the pulley back in place.  it can be done for extended periods of time, though i don't recommend it, but it does work.

• 4 weeks later...

the dealer came and towed it back to the shop and fixed it as well as the new catalytic converter and the intake valve control solinoid now if i can just get the back door open the latch is broken they think. but everything else works. they even fixed the abs light,it was a bad sensor, it took then to tries to fix that,first they got the wrong sensor then they broke the bolt on the old sensor i went in at 9:00 am and didn't get out until 5:00 pm then i had to bring it back for the abs sensor they had to replace. now i get to take it to the subaru dealer for all the recalls that should take two days  so they will give us a loaner.

• 3 months later...