Ultimate Subaru Message Board

headlight wiring

Hey Dude I have a '86 GL wagon too...My headlights have always been dim too. One day a rock hit my headlight so bad there wasn't any way it would pass upcoming inspection... A trip to my local boneyard produced a complete headlight assembly with the bulb still in it!!! It looked like it was brand new, headlight glass was crystal clear compared to the other one.....It made all the difference in the world........I think I paid 65 bucks for it......I think if the bulb seals go bad all kinds of moisture can accumulate on the inside of your headlight glass and this attracts the under the hood dirty air to get it there. You may try taking apart the entire assembly and cleaning out the inside of the glass before doing the wiring deal......also check all your headlight GROUND wires for proper connection and corrosion.........Hope this is of help

A lot of times the dim light is caused by rusted reflectors. The gasket between the lens and the reflector wears out, water gets in and the rust begins :(

Pull off your lenses and take a peek. All the wiring in the world wont matter if the reflectors are rusted up.