Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo to non turbo engine

Looking to get a GL from the US and import into Canada since they are impossible to find up here. I've been looking at a gl-10 turbo with a dual range and a blown turbo motor. 

For import I just want to put an original EA82 in and run it for the inspection then swap to the ej25 I have in my car after. 

Is it an easy swap? How different is the wiring between the '85 gl turbo and the 93 loyale?

I converted an 1987.5 XT turbo to EA82 non turbo. There was very little different between them, but it's been a long time now and that JDM engine had head gasket, cracked intake manifold, and other bizarre issues so it's vague. It ran and I drove it so I'm assuming the swap was fine but all the other issues were problematic. If it was not compatible I don't think I could have drove it as much as I did.

I just laid the two FSM ECU witing diagrams side by side and compared. About the only differences were some turbo specific sensors on the passengers side strut tower area.

I'm pretty sure I even ran it first without even swapping the ECU but that was 10+ years ago.

I imagine I have old threads about it if you want to find and read those.

GL turbo is MPFI, what is the loyale?

85 turbo will be mpfi, 93 na will be spfi.

Wiring is very different between models, but hardware less so.

If you're prepared to swap inlet manifolds and engine loom, then you could get it to run. Not perfectly, but it would run.

A bit of effort though, why not just change to the ej?

Hmmm...

So I could get it to run sans turbo temporarily quite easily, just swap the intake and ignore the turbo I guess... This is what I figured. I have the old ecu too but if the mpfi has different sensors I guess I'll stick with the original. 

Not going to drop the EJ cause its not supposed to be there... I think it may make the import inspection harder. I really don't know though. The details are very vague. 

Basically what you'd be doing is an engine block swap. Think of it that way and change everything over from one engine to the other, sensors included and run it all from the turbo ecu and wiring. then it should run, kind of. Expect the fuel ratios to be out, and maybe the timing also. Do you need to do emissions test?

I hate vague import rules. Must be even harder when you can drive across the border...

Just thought of something though. Check if the mpfi heads are different to the spfi heads. Something to do with the inlet ports cos of the injector position.

We didn't get the spfi engine here so I can't answer, but I know Tha mpfi inlet manifold doesn't fit carb engine

Early model ecu has less plugs and pins because that ecu doesn't run the spark.

Why can't the op just import the car as non running?

By the time you swap heads, inlet manifolds,etc you may as well fix the turbo engine...

Edited by wagonist