Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82: thanks first, and a couple of questions-

First the thanks: I used ideas from this site to finally get the crankshaft pulley bolt out, the engine is out of the car and I was struggling to get that bolt out. Included is a pic of what worked:

Now my question: the car is a 94 Loyale, overheated multiple times until finally it just stopped (daughter's car - new noise = turn the radio up!) I have a used long block to install in the car and am considering placing the dead car's water pump on the replacement engine. The water pump is about 300 miles "old",

However I was told that it may have warped with the repeated overheating and likely will leak. Any merit to this claim?

Again thanks to all who share their insight and helps-

post-63157-0-14784000-1466197887_thumb.jpeg

I would not use the overheated water pump.  It's been over temperature, and run low on coolant.  How well does the seal stand up to that?  The last time I bought one, the best quality one at NAPA was around $50.

I'm with Dave. Coolant is the lubrication for the impeller bushing. It's going to have a dramatically shortened lifespan if it was repeatedly over heated and ran low on coolant. Overheating causes the bushing and shaft to expand beyond tolerance. Now there's no clearance between the bushing and shaft and one or both of them is going to be galled. It will then start to eat itself up until there is excessive play at which point, it won't matter whether or not the seal survived, it will start to leak. I personally wouldn't gamble a $50 part over an engine. Daughter, radio.... You said it, not me. lol

Edited by skishop69

Another example of "gut inclination" being trumped by physics! Your thoughts make good sense to me. And it is true that a new water pump is not very expensive compared to a new engine; and also not hard to install when the engine is out of the car.

Thanks for your thoughtful replies.