Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace only the CV joint or the whole drive shaft?

Ok thanks

Straight forward operation or full of strange quirks?

Another question is that my pickup is a 92 mod, but when searching for parts most dealers dont list the pickup (brat) later than 87 :P Are the parts the same?

Edited by kleone

Not sure about parts but as far as "quirks", dropping the axle shouldn't be too big of a deal.  After removing bearing retaining nut you may also have to remove strut mount and anything else that would allow the suspension to drop down and make the room necessary to slide out the axle. Usually a drift pin on the trans (inboard) side.

1.  disassemble the axle, clean, and regrease it.   iv'e done it before and they have no issues at all afterwards.  i think the lack of grease just causes noises like anything else, but isn't necessarily doing nearly as much damage as people suspect or assume. 

2.  get a used axle if available.

Yeah I usually just replace the whole axle, cheaper. If you keep an eye on them you can catch them when the boot tears.

What I do, I don't drop the strut, I take out the lower pinch bolt for the lower ball joint, and then with a pry bar, pry down and pop the ball joint out of the knuckle, and then you have enough movement, with the steering arm disconnected too, to pull the whole assembly towards you enough to pull the axle out. Or, drop the strut if you don't want to muscle it. Once you do it once, you get faster and faster. I can pull one in about 20 minutes. 

Edited by Naked Buell
  • Like 1

will give this a go before i swap for new (if i can fin one)

1.  disassemble the axle, clean, and regrease it.   iv'e done it before and they have no issues at all afterwards.  i think the lack of grease just causes noises like anything else, but isn't necessarily doing nearly as much damage as people suspect or assume. 

2.  get a used axle if available.

I have a follow->up question for everyone that cares to answer

do you know if your local subaru dealer are out of cv shafts to the pickup? (brat/brumby/mv)

the norwegian importer is out and says they are no longer available. all the aftermarket part dealers are out, including norwegian as well as english and german speaking dealers in europe.. Australian ebay has plenty, but refuses to post abroad for some reason.. Ebay US have some chinese manufactured to choose from but they differ in length  :rolleyes:

probably because cost of international shipping is high. 

ask someone in australia to ship you an axle or three.  i've shipped hard to get old school subaru parts to Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Germany...and I'm sure some other places I've long since forgotten. 

probably because cost of international shipping is high.

ask someone in australia to ship you an axle or three. i've shipped hard to get old school subaru parts to Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Germany...and I'm sure some other places I've long since forgotten.

I have asked three sellers on ebay aus some days ago, havent recieved an answer from anyone yet and by now i doubt i will unfortunately. Im gonna clean and lube the old ones, and keep myself updated on ebay US and EUR Edited by kleone