Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear end area grinding/rubbing on right turns?

95' Legacy wagon awd w/190k+. First noticed a sound that I thought was a REAR tire rubbing after exiting the highway the other day while raining (everything was wet) so I would have thought it was the tire as it sounded like rubber squeaking. Today, with everything dry, I'm getting a metal on metal rubbing sound on right hand turns only. If I make a left turn or unload the previous right turn by quickly turning the steering wheel opposite direction, the grinding stops.

I looked quickly underneath and the REAR crossmember is OK (it was replaced about 3 years ago and everything looks solid and bolts are in place). Also, no wear marks on the inner tires.

Sound like a wheel bearing? What's odd is the left rear tire sounded like it was squeaking when raining the other day, but the grinding on right turns is either right-rear or close to it.

Edited by Bushwick

Yeah, it's disc rear. If rear is off the ground, there should be delectable play (in/out) if it's bad enough to be hitting the e-brake shoes I'm assuming?

No idea what the deal with the tire was assuming it was the tire. 

How bad are the wheel bearings on these to do? 

Yeah if the parking shoes were hitting the drum the wheel would have a fair amount of play.

Easiest way to verify if the shoes are/were hitting is take the disc off and see if there's abnormal wear, marks, groves etc.

If there's no marks of anything out of the ordinary and the wheel doesn't have play you might have something else going on.

Not saying its definitely not the wheel bearing though.

Not sure on how hard the wheel bearing job is. I haven't done one of a pre 2000 in a long while.

Edited by golucky66

Seems it is something with e-brake rubbing on right turns due to a bad bearing. If I pull the e-brake handle and hold it on right (slow) turns, the metal rubbing almost fully goes away or doesn't start, so thanks for mentioning that guys.

I take it 95' Legacy L rear bearings with rear disc AND ABS are pressed in and not the 4 bolts holding the bearing assembly together from the rear like later models?

Will this work?: 

DURAGO 29513248SK Kit Contains: Bearing, Retaining Ring, and Axle Nut   $22.79

REAR; AWD

Has a new nut and retaining ring. But unsure if that's everything needed?

Are there 3 seals per side? Seems to be saying inner, center, and outer seals?
Edited by Bushwick

Can someone confirm ^ if that's everything needed?

Noticed some of the bearings have a slightly over-sized specs, and some are listed as "rear inner AWD" where others are listed as just "rear AWD"? Are they referring to a carrier bearing as "inner"? I assume the slight over-size is to account for wear, or are there slight differences between the years these were used?

Turns out the driver-side spring perch cracked, and was touching the top of the tire tread, which was causing the the squeak in the rain, and very faint burning rubber smell (how the smell travels forward when car is moving is curious), so a double-whammy of two separate issues manifesting at roughly the same time.