Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

sorry, but ANOTHER lift question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:14 PM

Hey all, I finally got my lift done tonight, well basically done since Roxanne is drivable. I've got a bit of a problem though.

Okay, so the rear struts are now mounted by horseshoe-shaped bits of steel. I'm not positive I've done this right. Right now, the strut is bolted to the BACK of the horseshoe thing, which is bolted to the stock strut mount holed. Previously, I had the strut bolted to the FRONT. My problem is that the struts are angled out if they hang freely, thought they can be forced into the bottom mount. This was worse with the struts bolted to the front of the mounts, but it's still quite apparent now. The problem that arises is that I think the struts are binding. They are REALLY stiff, and there is a bit of an unpleasant noise over bumps on occasion.

So, did I do this right? The directions were not all that clear. Any help would be excellent.

#2 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:17 AM

if they fit on the same as the ea81 lift (sounds like it does) then it needs to be bolted to the outside of the horseshoe, so the springs will be far enough away from the body to not rub (that's the noises you are hearing now.

best way, is to bolt them to the front, but leave them loose, then put the bottom mount in, and tighten everything up....

Hey all, I finally got my lift done tonight, well basically done since Roxanne is drivable. I've got a bit of a problem though.

Okay, so the rear struts are now mounted by horseshoe-shaped bits of steel. I'm not positive I've done this right. Right now, the strut is bolted to the BACK of the horseshoe thing, which is bolted to the stock strut mount holed. Previously, I had the strut bolted to the FRONT. My problem is that the struts are angled out if they hang freely, thought they can be forced into the bottom mount. This was worse with the struts bolted to the front of the mounts, but it's still quite apparent now. The problem that arises is that I think the struts are binding. They are REALLY stiff, and there is a bit of an unpleasant noise over bumps on occasion.

So, did I do this right? The directions were not all that clear. Any help would be excellent.

#3 P K

P K

Devil Dog Liaison

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Omicron Persei Diego

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:07 AM

Kelly,

PM or email me you phone number and a good time to call, and we can talk it out.

r/ Patrick

#4 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:55 AM

dam i think mine are bolted to the inside also. That would explain the funny rubbing sounds! :D

Have to check that out tonight.

#5 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:31 AM

maybe the ea82's are supposed to bolt on the inside...

I'm just going off the ea81 lift :)

dam i think mine are bolted to the inside also. That would explain the funny rubbing sounds! :D

Have to check that out tonight.

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:06 AM

Hmmm could be.... if only the directions were more clear :)

#7 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

Mine are on the inside, PK said, when i did mine, that you bolt the spacers to the struts, and then the spacer to the body and it will wedge the struts into the body so they don't go anywhere

#8 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:51 PM

Mine are on the inside, PK said, when i did mine, that you bolt the spacers to the struts, and then the spacer to the body and it will wedge the struts into the body so they don't go anywhere

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like a minor difference in the 2 lifts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users