Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone busted off the rear wiper arm of my 2005 Legacy Outback. I called Subaru parts department and got a replacement, part# 86532AG09C. After finally removing the stuck plastic on the old one, this new one won't fit. There is a metal nut with teeth on the bolt, the plastic was stuck to it when I took the old one off. When I go to put the new one on, the bolt doesn't stick out far enough to thread the nut on to hold it in place. That metal piece with teeth is in the way. I know that piece is important to catch the plastic but the new arm's plastic is too thick. I called Subaru and they confirmed that it is the correct wiper arm and I don't really want to take it in and pay someone for something so small. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's snowing and my teenage daughter is driving the car. 

Remove the wiper arm hold down nut

Remove all of the remaining wiper arm bits - these are splined/pressed on and often challenging to remove.

1. It sounds like there's still some wiper arm stuck to the bolt shaft that needs removed.  

2. Or the motor assembly was damaged in some way and is "pressed back" into the hatch area from whatever caused it to break in the first place (which would have required a rather significant force to break the arm to begin with).  Check the stud for play - push/pull on it and see if it moves indicating something else is compromised. 

If that's not it, then some questions:

Ideally you post a picture or google image search existing pictures as i'm having a hard time envisioning what's happening. 

You're positive yours is a 2005?  2004 is a different generation than 2005 so make sure the date is precise. 

Is there still some residual part of the old wiper on the stud (what you're calling a bolt)?  If it is - get that piece off. 

Can you compare the "end" of the new part to the end of the old broken plastic part to see if it's same or different?

if you need additional parts www.car-part.com is another source if the transmission or something is damaged.

Attached is the new wiper arm, and the stub I'm trying to attach it to. I did remove all of the black plastic that was almost welded onto the stub. I don't have the old wiper arm to compare it to as whoever snapped it off took it with them. The stub doesn't have any play really, I tried unscrewing the gold nut with teeth (I apologize, I don't know that that fitting is called) and the whole thing didn't want to turn. I then tried pushing the gold nut down towards the window further to give the bolt room to poke out of the wiper arm to attach it with the nut, it didn't budge. I looked up my vin online and I do have a 2005, I also looked up that part using my vin and it is the correct part although the website listed more than one.

post-68915-0-83311700-1509570948_thumb.jpg

post-68915-0-06052900-1509570953_thumb.jpg

post-68915-0-11098000-1509570954_thumb.jpg

post-68915-0-13991000-1509570955_thumb.jpg

yep that needs to come off. dremel, nut splitter, channel locks, vice grips. spray it down with some good penetrant like liquid wrench or PB blaster if you have it.

that is just pressed down onto the splined shaft, it is not threaded, so you would be better to try to "rock it back and forth" to get it off than turn it.

twisting/tearing it off might be harder due to the splines and may damage them as well, but i'm uncertain. i'm just picturing - if that arm was still attached you *would not* turn the entire wiper arm 360 degrees around that splined shaft.

i would probably use large channel lock and grab it head on with the handles pointing directly away from the glass instead of parallel to it. squeeze tight and see if you can rock it off. it may literally take like 100 times probably and not feel like it's moving at first and then slowly come off.

what he said:

I'm thinking it was embedded in the plastic of the old one.

Edited by idosubaru

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I don't have any of those tools so i'll have to recruit a man with tools to help me. At this point I may just take it down to Subaru service and have them do it. I was trying to do this myself. Whoever did this is such a piece...and if they do it again after I replace it (mad face). Apartment living...

Thank you all for the answers. Prevented me from breaking something and making things worse or buying a different arm and wasting money.

I doubt another arm is going to help get that metal insert off the shaft. Rock it and it’ll come.

Remove the motor assembly and do it indoors if needed. Though it may not pull through with that insert on the shaft...

Or replace with a used one, they never fail so they’re nearly worthless if you can find one being parted or pick n pull.

Or find the cheapest close one here:

Www.car-part.com

Edited by idosubaru

The metal piece will not come off. I used a few different tools and it won't budge. I really don't want to remove the entire assembly. My question is how in the world someone got that piece on in the first place, and why. I'm going to have someone drill down the inside of the wiper arm enough so that the bolt sticks out. Funny though the arm that was broken off was plastic at the base because there was still some left on that gold fitting...this one is metal.

I was betting you wouldn’t get it. They can take a bit to get off even when you have 6-12” of leverage via the wiper arm, without all that leverage you’ve got nothing. It’s going to take aggressive application to get enough side to side walking on that thing.

As the nut is tightened it’s a press fit into the tapered/splined shaft and they can sometimes be hard to remove.

Do yourself a favor and drill or cut or use a nut splitter to get the thing off. You can even get little disc cutting attachments for a regular hand drill. They’re handy and cheap. Ive got a much smaller and thinner disc id use in this case and I’m not recommending this one but for illustration:

https://www.ebay.com/i/162717216150?chn=ps&dispItem=1&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-117182-37290-0%252F2%253Fmpre%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fi%25252F162717216150%25253Fchn%25253Dps%252526dispItem%25253D1%2526itemid%253D162717216150%2526targetid%253D376379061791%2526device%253Dm%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D9009448%2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D962079493%2526adgroupid%253D50351807200%2526rlsatarget%253Dpla-376379061791%2526abcId%253D1129816%2526merchantid%253D108332737%2526gclid%253DEAIaIQobChMI_63L7s-g1wIVQkCGCh26Vg59EAQYAiABEgJUzfD_BwE%2526srcrot%253D711-117182-37290-0%2526rvr_id%253D1353006342749

for $8 or less you can do it right and have an additional tool in the box.

Similarly a grinding stone in a drill bit would work but take longer and make a bigger mess.

The metal piece will not come off. I used a few different tools and it won't budge. I really don't want to remove the entire assembly. My question is how in the world someone got that piece on in the first place, and why. I'm going to have someone drill down the inside of the wiper arm enough so that the bolt sticks out. Funny though the arm that was broken off was plastic at the base because there was still some left on that gold fitting...this one is metal.

that won't work.

you won't have any engagement of the spine part of the shaft.  it will fail and flop around.

You must remove thay piece or you will NOT achieve a workable repair.

use a dremel to cut it off if you have to, but it must be removed.

I think I know what happened. I noticed another wiper arm popping up during search. I've attached the image. It looks like this arm was the one that was broken off, when it broke it left the little metal piece on the shaft. That explains why there was so much plastic stuck to it. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I'm going to take it into a shop and have them remove the metal piece. Whoever did this...I hope Karma gets them.

post-68915-0-96736400-1509653584_thumb.jpg

well you already bought the new one but if it were me (as cheap as I am) I would have just epoxyed the old wiper back on the splined piece.

as others have said, a small gear puller which can be borrowed from autozone or other auto stores that lend out tools will get that splined piece off, and you can use your brandy new wiper arm