Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looks like I'm not the first one to break one of these. Dorman has a supposedly new and improved one.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-73149-917-124.aspx

I wanted to put mine back together and not wait for parts, so I took one of the lock nuts up top with the reverse threads and welded it to a big washer with a hole reamed out larger.  It worked.  Sorry I didn't take pictures, I was in a hurry.  Does anyone know if the new Dorman one is metal or plastic?

The bad part is that the new idler pulley is the same exact one as the one I replaced.  I hear they don't last very long.  Although it get rid of the noise in the engine compartment!

• Like 1

I believe it is still plastic.  Many don't loosen the nut that holds the pulley before trying to adjust the long bolt and snap the plastic bits.  My dealer stocks them.  Dorman kit is a good option.

I take that back, since they say parts are powder coated the adjuster may be metal

Edited by Mike104

The description of the Dorman replacement one says it is much stronger than the factory one.  At this point I don't know if I'll ever need it or not with my fix.  My welding isn't the greatest but I *think* it's good.  At LEAST as good as the factory one.  If I do need one someday I won't buy a plastic one from the dealer, that's for sure.

get one of these - they have replaceable bearings in them...you cant replace the bearing in the plastic pulleys..

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2004,forester,2.5l+h4,1426788,belt+drive,idler+pulley,6956

I just had the AC tensioner pulley fail on my  02 Forester and will be replacing it with one that I can change out the bearing. Not in a huge rush for it as it is still most definitely winter up here in Wisconsin.. teens & twenties for highs. <_<

Just for the hell of it, cause I tend to HAVE to do these things, I put a little bit of oil on the old one and spun it.  It went from grinding to spinning freely.  Not that I'd waste my time using it again, but I may poke a grease needle in the current one when it starts making noise.  Hopefully it won't be too soon.  Oh by the way, I changed it in my garage with all the doors open to let the warm air in, it was unseasonably warm the other day with a high of 75°. :)

• 1 month later...