Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

full time 4WD GL turbo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lagwagon

lagwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:43 AM

I see this red GL full time 4wd turbo sitting idle near where I work. I know It needs a new motor.I left a note to see if they want to sell it. It is an automatic tranny.

If I got it I would want to switch it to manual. My question is... How does the full time 4wd work? Would I lose the full time 4wd if I switch trannys ?

It seems weird that it's a turbo GL not a GL-10

#2 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:12 AM

Changing the tranny will change the drivetrain to whatever tranny you put in. Put in a Dual Range and you will loose Full Time and gain Dual Range 4WD. PUt in a pushbutton and you will have Single Range 4WD when you push the botton.

I have seen a couple other GL turbos with out GL10 packages. Seen a few GL10's with out turbos too. Go figure !_!

#3 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:18 AM

Lag,

I have one of those models (an 89 GL Turbo Wagon).

Personally, I am not a big fan of AT's of any kind. Even a base 2wd 5speed drives better IMO. But I will say the A/T's in those AWD models are the best of the lot. They also seem to stand up to abuse pretty well. My car was absolutely beat to sh*t, and the tranny still shifts smoothly at 130k. Fulltime AWD is a step above "on-demand 4wd" in dry conditions.

If you were to get that car, I would focus on getting your motor together first. You may decide you can live with the A/T after all. I'm not in any hurry to convert mine, though I'm sure I will eventually.

good luck, John

I see this red GL full time 4wd turbo sitting idle near where I work. I know It needs a new motor.I left a note to see if they want to sell it. It is an automatic tranny.

If I got it I would want to switch it to manual. My question is... How does the full time 4wd work? Would I lose the full time 4wd if I switch trannys ?

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:27 AM

Would I lose the full time 4wd if I switch trannys ?

There are S/R and D/R FT4wd 5 speeds available, so thats an option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users