Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heat shield (exhaust) rattling solutions?

I've pulled the rusty old gnarly heatshields off of several of my cars (inlcuding on off the 94 turbo lego) and haven't run into any troubles related to not having them yet. I live in a very rust-belt type area so once the shields start to go they REALLY start to go. Unforuntately, just like the car bodies.:eek:

You can:

1) Cut them off. I personally don't like this approach. They are there for a reason.

2) Use worm gear clamps. Wrap around them and tighten them down. I've done this successfully (on non-subaru cars) in the past.

3) Some have recommended stuffing (stainless) steel wool in between the sheild and the pipe. Can work. May not be too permanent though.

4) Turn up the radio. :lol:

5) Replace them. But I don't think this is an option for the ones you speak of.

6) ????

Some ideas for you.

Commuter[/quote

Personally, I use them as a conversation topic. Most of my passengers ask, "Don't you think you rear end is going to fall out?, Sounds like s--t when you let off the gas" or I gotta go to the bathroom, could you pull over please.

OK, it's starting to bug me too now, so may have to do something about it now that you brought it up.

I would be interested in a remedy as well, without having to remove "a factory installed safety feature".

Seems to me between RTV orange and muffler tape you should be able to quiet down most of those rattles.

Part of my noise is cause by gravel that doesn't want to come out:mad:

That will require a different approach.

I'm trying the RTV next.

...yes I've done the nail thing too...:rolleyes:

I would agree that putting nails where they may fall out and puncture someone's tire sounds sketchy but I must admit I am intrigued. Exactly how does one implement this fix?

Mike V

What I have found with my car (now 10 yo and 518k km) is that the "bands" that clamp around the exhaust pipe (and to which the heat shields attach) are what loosens up. This is where the rattle was coming from in a couple of places on my car. The "nail" trick is to wedge the nail in under the band against the pipe to take up the slack. I try to use a stainless steel screw when I can, but in one spot I could not get my hands / screwdriver in, so I had to resort to a nail. The screw is much more likely to stay, and won't rust away as a carbon steel nail will. You can get various sizes / lengths from a hardware store (eg Home Depot).

Commuter

• 1 year later...

Any updates to these rattling heat shield fixes?

The heat shield rattle on my 95 Legacy has reached embarrassing levels now :rolleyes: The local Subaru dealer offered a $65 riveting fix a few years ago which I wisely(?) declined.

I do not like the nail solutions as I have had countless flats over the years due to an assortment of nails (three last year alone!). I had thought they were from my numerous HomeDepot/Lowes/Menards trips:mad: …

Anybody use the FTV high temp adhesive suggested by the ex F-4 Phantom mechanic (Kstretch55)?

How long does the “wedging” technique (steel wool, aluminum foil) work?

Any time one of mine starts to rattle, I just throw a steel hose clamp around it and tighten it down. Has worked for me for over a year, and I don't see them coming off anytime soon.

To me, this seems like the best approach because it doesn't pose the danger of nails puncturing tires, and I would have to imagine it lasts longer and is more effective than stuffing the heat shield full of aluminum foil or steel wool.

Isn't steel wool flammable anyways?

My solution is to put the car up in the air on home use drive up ramps. That gives you enough space to crawl under the car safely. I leave the engine runing, then while wearing gloves, poke, push, and probe until I find where the shroud is loose. You can tell when you have found the vibrating spot, because once you push in against that spot, the vibrating noise will cease. Sometimes, the vibration is engine rpm sensitive, so if need be, I ask someone to sit in the driver's seat to slightly increase engine rpm to create the buzzing sound.

Once vibration source is located, I hammer in a rather large bolt inside a shroud opening. The bolt simply takes up space to not allow the shroud to vibrate. It is a low tech solution for a low tech problem. I have done this on both of my Outbacks to cure the problem.

Now you have to worry about flats from bolts :) from Rooster2 car.

Bolts are ok, it's the washers that are the problem. I had a flat tire this morning on the way to the local brewpub/coffee shop and found a 3/8 lock washer sticking out of my tread. Obviously, carelessly littered by someone trying to fix their Subaru heat shield problems. I for one found that just simply turning up the radio helps considerably unless anyone is with with you with hearing issues.

My grandmother thinks the expanding and contraction of the exhaust system is the biggest problem and contributes to failure of a permanant solution. She's on drugs, so I don't know about that.

Megell