Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 86 OHV Carb -> 88 OHC SPFI

While my 88 SPFI OHC EA82 wagon is running fine, I gotta face the fact that my engine [200k] is gonna hafta blow up eventually... especially with the way I drive / neglect it. Moreover, I wanna start doing some performance stuff, and it doesn't make any sense on my leaky old [totaly dependable] motor.

While contemplating taking out yet another student loan to buy a CCR engine, it occured to me that I've got another "good" engine sitting out in the yard in my parts car. An 86 OHV Carbed EA82.

I've never rebuilt an engine. But I think I can handle it... Definetly if I've still got a running vehicle and can take my time.

Now, it seems to me the OHC and OHV engines are pretty different beasts. If I remember correctly, the water pump isn't even in the same place. Quite frankly, I'm not even real sure on the difference between OHC and OHV.

So.... Who's gonna enlighten me on the finer aspects of these two motors? Is my '86 a suitable donor?

Well first of all, all EA82s are OHC. So if your other engine is really an OHV then it's either an EA81 or EA71.

Now then if your other engine is a Carb EA82 after all then you could just swap the longblocks. It wouldn't be too bad to do, you would need to plug the ASV hole in each head. The big downer is that the Carb version has a lower compression ratio then the SPFI version.

If your other engine is an EA81 it's possible to make a similar swap. Some more mods would be required. Including the distrbutor the that it will fit correctly into the EA81 engine. You would also have to come up with the right flywheel and clutch combination.

If you have an EA71, don't bother trying. You would have to use its carburetor intake and monkey around to make that all work. This is because the SPFI intake dosen't come close to fitting on that engine.

Well first of all, all EA82s are OHC. So if your other engine is really an OHV then it's either an EA81 or EA71.
The Haynes book makes the 86 out to be a OHV, which as I say is reinforced by the fact that major components are in totally different places from my 88. This is a Loyale-style wagon; I didn't think the ea81 made it into the "new" body style.

The big downer is that the Carb version has a lower compression ratio then the SPFI version.

Well, there's my answer. Screw that.

First never trust a Haynes manual, they are usually wrong. Secondly Craig is correct, all EA82s are OHC engines, just because it is an 86 doesn't mean that it is an EA82, there were also EA81 and EA71 available in certain models that year. I believe that there is still an EA series engine built for certain countries.

• 2 weeks later...
Naw, see I've really got an 86 L-series parts car in the yard with an ea81. I didn't think this combination was made, ergo the confusion.

These days, I usually just run it over with my mountain bike.

subiejump2.jpg

The car pictured above should have an EA82 (OHC) engine in it, unless it came from some third world country. But if it was imported to the USA originally, it should have the EA82 in it. If not, then someone has done a conversion.

The car pictured above should have an EA82 (OHC) engine in it, unless it came from some third world country. But if it was imported to the USA originally, it should have the EA82 in it. If not, then someone has done a conversion.
Dammmit Doc, you're the one who told me it was an ea81! :)

Ok, I acutally went outside and pulled the jump-ramp off the hood and took a look. I'm just being a dork, its an EA82.

The last time I looked under the hood of the parts car was like a year ago. That car has A/C, which I never noticed before just now. I guess the compressor threw me at the time, as the pulleys are a little different. Combine that with the haynes book, and you get all kinda wierd notions.

Anyway, insert brain here.