Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 EJ22, lifter ticking??? bad thing? fixable?

so I just did a reseal on my oil pump.. and changed the oil on my wagon... but it started ticking after i did this! will having too much oil cause this? (i think i put a little too much in...)

I am tempted to try the ATF flush method, it seems to work on ea81 and ea82 lifters... (1 qt atf to 3 qts oil.....)

i just hope this isnt hurting my motor! (the ticking) but it certanly is annoying..

thanks!

You can try and do the flush trick , but if that doesn't work you probably have some silicone sealant stuck in one of the rocker shaft oil delivery holes

1) detremine which side it is and which rocker Then pull the rocker shaft assemble off . If it's the left bank making noise (drivers) take off the front tower pedestal from the shaft, if it's the right side (passenger)take off the rear tower pedestal.Look at the metering oil hole on the shaft there is usually a piece of silicone stuck in the hole

2).If not there go to the affected rocker , see if there is any oil present coming out of the hole at the end of the rocker when you push down on the valve lash adjuster ( which should be soft and spongy) You can also "gently" pull the valve lash adjuster out of the rocker with some pliers and clean out the passage in the rocker

3) reassemble every thing and start engine and keep it at aprox 2000 rpm

NOTE : It may take 10-20 minutes to bleed the air out of the valve lash adjuster , some times running for 5-10 minutes then shutting the engine off let it sit 5 minutes and restarting it purges the air faster

hope that helps

SEA#3

I had the same thing. Did the flush with MMO, but it didn't work. Had to pull it apart to find a piece of plastic in one of the oil journals. Then it was finw. Good luck. I hope to see the pugs on Mon or so when I get back from hunting this weekend. Thanks again. I hope all works out for you.

Is it still doing it? Anytime you toy with the oil pump, you're going to lose all the oil with it of course, so it's going to take a little while for it to build sufficient oil pressure back up.

I resealed the oil pump on my EA82, and even though I cranked it for 20 seconds with the coil pulled to get the oil circulating, I still had some lifter tapping for about 5 minutes, then it went away.