Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To my knowlege the only US Market Subaru with D/R allwheel drive was the SXT(I think that's the right name) which was the prototype of the baja.

In some overseas markets you can get D/R AWD but I've notice that fewer models get that optinion. if you want a little proof of their existance check out this spec. sheet for an Australian Forester http://subaru.com.au/explore/forester/specifications.asp?item=23492

as for how the D/R works, it's works the same way as it dose on the early subarus. It's just a set of reduction gears on the inputshaft and as with the Early subarus you can only get it with a manual transmission.

Soobnut, you would want to import one from Germany. Here in Denmark the price of the gearbox and freight would be so high that you could by a brand new Sube in the States...well, almost.

German mechanics are also have a "if it even looks worn, we MUST replace it" mentality, which means even an older gearbox will likely be in good shape.

These were standard trannies in the EJ18s Impreza Wagons in Europe in 94 (not sure about other years), in Japan, there was a special Impreza wagon (can't remember the model number at the moment) that these were standard on. Since these cars are not the ones in demand by those who import JDM engines and trannies, we don't see them here. I have tried to get several people that I know who import JDM engines to try and get these, but no luck yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this in the NEW Gen forum, but to be safe I want to clarify that the Later year XTs and the RXs came with a Dual Range AWD Trans. I believe that you can bolt the early EJ series motors directly up to them, but if not I'd be willing to bet someone makes a kit to do it.

Keith

finally someone said the RX :)

but yes I seriously want a dual range awd tranny. Noone cares to import them and they're fairly common. The new forester dual range has a faster effective hi ratio than our sti's 1-5. I'd kill for one of these. Though I hear they're actually pretty weak.

RallyKeith, XT's never came with a D/R tranny, at least not in the US. The 4cyl XT Turbo from 85-87 was the only 4WD XT and it was only selective 4WD, the 4cyl XT from 88-90 was either selective 4WD (manual) or fulltime 4WD (automatic), and the 91 XT 4cyl was FWD only. The XT6 AWD was diff lock only...

I seriously want one too, so we(all the people who wants d/r awd tranny) should do something about it

Dan

Flights to europe are cheap now, send one D/R people over and pick them up and bring them back on the plane as carry on :-p , no one will care.

I always kindn of wanted to do this, to a impreza or something, but have no funds. But you would want to get a 20KG STi center diff to make it work denctly formore serious offroading. Dont most sube trannies have like a 2Kg center diff stock on the 5spds?

It is my understanding, and I have seen spec sheets, that the dual range is 1.19:1 ratio much like the old RX, versus the 1.52:1 ratio in the EA82. Might be great if one puts on larger tires, then wanted to get back to original gearing driving in the lower range, but I think its a costly mod for that. Can one run 24/7 in low range? Just my $0.02. r/PK.