Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i think 29s will fit with no lift

archemitis

yeah you could make them.... but why?.. if your going to spend the money on tires why not shell the money out for a lift. you'll get better suspension movement without rubbing, better offroad clearance and ability. why does everyone not want to lift their cars and only put tires on them. personally they look funny that way and they are a lot less practical. but hell what do i know right? i've never seen these things offroad... they are going to rub offroad almost positively... oh well... do what you need to, but i suggest you spend the little cost of a ozified lift... they are pretty cheap. make it look better, and help over all performance. also cut down tire rubbing. not to mention i wouldn't even use 29's without using a tcase... cause you'll have no gearing. which will hinder your offroading and street ability even more. but once again, hell i don't know anything about 4xing......................

Jared

what does it matter? Minnesota's mostly flat isn't it? :-p

You can bang the heck out of the firewall/rear fender area, but the tire will always rub on the inside anyways. When I stuck my 30s on the front with no lift, I could turn the wheels like 15 degrees, 29s wont be a whole lot better (my 30s were so bald they were basically 29s anyways :rolleyes:

well It could be done if you dont mind hacking with a reciprocating saw to gain enough clearance. and there are advantages to big tires and no lift off road as long as you are not rubbing. for one you are less top heavy. your drive train is still sitting in the stock position and less likely to get broken.

but Rooinator is correct that without gears you are really not gaining any thing (with the exception of clutch changing practice)

I recently went back down to stock tires because of the oversize ones with no gearing and a low compression turbo motor sucked on any kind of steep hill or really rough terain.

but big tires are fun and we all want to do it so have fun.

body lifts just seem like a waste to me, unless im going big, like 31s or something. you dont gain any suspension travel, and id have the same amount of ground clearance as a guy with a 3 inch lift with 29s.

I turned them, and they didnt seem much worse than [pugs.

I have driven morganms rig with 29s and its not bad on gearing. especially in low range, where it matters. and that hatch aint stock under the hood

Its just something I was looking at and thinking about. I dont think I need a 3/4inch lift, I might make a less involved 2 inch one. its still kinda my street car =]

I have 28/29" tires on my brat WITH a lift and they rub (because I havnt banged the front wheel wells yet) I'd really like to see a stock sube not rub without LOTS and lots of banging.

What I learned from my brat... I think ill get 27"s on the next brat (yes there will probably be another soon) or get a bigger lift :brow:

body lifts just seem like a waste to me, unless im going big, like 31s or something. you dont gain any suspension travel, and id have the same amount of ground clearance as a guy with a 3 inch lift with 29s.

I turned them, and they didnt seem much worse than [pugs.

I have driven morganms rig with 29s and its not bad on gearing. especially in low range, where it matters. and that hatch aint stock under the hood

Its just something I was looking at and thinking about. I dont think I need a 3/4inch lift, I might make a less involved 2 inch one. its still kinda my street car =]

well this is exactly why I dont agree with calling the lifts used on a subaru a body lift. a body lift lifts the body higher off the frame while the frame still sits in the stock location. and thus not much overall ground clearance gained.

subarus dont have frames! it does give you more clearance under the body because its raised and there is no frame hanging down. its the same thing as a jeep cherokee there is no frame thus no way to install a body lift. ok so I wont call it a suspenion lift because some people dont want to admit thats what it is. we can just settle on the term lift if will make us all happy.

I attempted to fab my own 2" lift as you have mentioned and gave up as soon as I realized It would not help my car unless I made some other major changes.

now you do have a low range, some torque and a lighter car so you may benifit from a lift.

I ran bridgestone dueler A/T lt195/75/r14 for a while and with the excepton of the lack of gearing they were great in snow, mud and gravle while still behaving well on the street. I had to clearance the fenders just a bit to make them work.

if you dont want to go lifted these are a great option.

mine are going to be for sale cheap if anyone wants em:brow:

well It could be done if you dont mind hacking with a reciprocating saw to gain enough clearance. and there are advantages to big tires and no lift off road as long as you are not rubbing. for one you are less top heavy. your drive train is still sitting in the stock position and less likely to get broken.

actually the way that subaru's are normally lifted. it's a body lift and the drivetrain stays where it is and the body gets moved up. so that drivetrain only gets higher with bigger tires. unless you have a tcase mod. then you suck the enging and tranny up into the body. and a 3 inch lift on a subaru doesn't make it much more top heavy either. but an 8 inch will make it a little heavier up top.

i also think you miss the point of the lift. you say that it won't increase suspension travel. well no not in the sense of with stock tires. but it will increase the suspension movement you can actually make with larger tires. cause with those 29's all you will do is rub throughout the suspension movement. also since you will have the ability to have the tires actually move up and down with a lift. instead of stuffed in the fender and cut the hell out of the tire. making the life of the tire offroad near zero... you can remove yur sway bar. increasing travel and let your suspension adjustments all the way down giving you a lot softer and more flexible suspension. with my 27's and a lift, with all the suspension down and and sway bar removed. i had about 20 inches or so of travel total. think that a pk lift won't help. but you won't go anywhere alot of us go without a lot more damage to your tires and your body. it's amazing how much even a 3" lift helps you clear your boady over obstacles.

but once again what the hell do i know... i've never proven any of those theories... just my 2 cents and what i've gained from wheeling subaru's.

[/size]

but once again what the hell do i know... i've never proven any of those theories... just my 2 cents and what i've gained from wheeling subaru's.

notice: im not attacking anyone, or saying you dont know anything.

i dont want a monster, or a seperate transfer case, with two drive shafts, i have one of those, its called my 4runner.

im just looking at ways to run some descent mud treads, imnot worried about the frame rails getting in my way, i have a welder.

again, just entertaining some ideas here. im not one of the planned mods guys, i actually do stuff, so stop trying to make me look like a baby that knows nothing.

i'm not trying to make you look like a baby that doesn't know anything. i'm sorry i think living in iraq is just getting to my head at the moment. my point is you don't need toput 29's on to get the beefier tires. cooper discoverer stt tire do just fine with minimal cutting and still being able to turn. they are only a 26" tire. but they still have a decent mud terrain. and super swamper makes ssr's in a 27" tire size. which still will require a decent amount of cutting without lifts... but you'll still have steering.

i am one that has a planned project. it starts in december when i get home. and then lil' roo goes up for sale. not trying to say you don't know anything. desert's getting to me. so i'm sorry if it came out that way.

Semper Fidelis,

Jared

you mean ltb's? They are a tough off-road tire but are not good on the road because they are usually out of round or do so once they've been driving a bit. Someone said they're like driving on octagon wheels on the pavement, and they're basically unbalanceable. They'll still work fine on the trail though.

the standard 28" tsl's are probably the cheapest. they get flat spots after sitting for a little while though. but as soon as the tire warms up they go away... the ssr's wear a lot faster but don't sound like a B52 bomber going down the road, like the tsl's. check my web site under subaru mods, then tire sizes... those were all based on pug rims. but it has a couple reviews by members and some places to find info.

Jared