Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ transmission options?

Hey guys

The total cost of rebuilding the EA drive train in my ’87 RX (270,00 miles, still running well) makes a lower mile EJ swap look very attractive (EJ22T would be real nice), so I’m looking into it and wondering about trans options. I hear the legacy MT5 is a good box and will handle a good amount of power, but what about a locking center diff? I love that about the RX trans, I’m willing to give up the D/R, but an open center diff in no-go for me. What are the options, WRX, Sti ?

I need an EJ education

Gary

Domestic STI is about it, unless you want to import an older one such as

the 22B or some of the RA type trannys. All big bucks. The hit you will take on an open center diff is meaningless compared to the gains of going to the EJ drivetrain, in particular if you go to the turbo EJ20 or EJ22.

Hey guys

The total cost of rebuilding the EA drive train in my ’87 RX (270,00 miles, still running well) makes a lower mile EJ swap look very attractive (EJ22T would be real nice), so I’m looking into it and wondering about trans options. I hear the legacy MT5 is a good box and will handle a good amount of power, but what about a locking center diff? I love that about the RX trans, I’m willing to give up the D/R, but an open center diff in no-go for me. What are the options, WRX, Sti ?

I need an EJ education

Gary

The center differential in the manual transmissions is not exactly open. It's viscious (spelled wrong) coupling. I don't know about lifted legacys dooing extreem offroading, but my stock legacy went right up a complete slickrock road w/ bald tires and it didn't slip at all. My views on the EJ tranny (manual) are very positive. There are EJ d/r manual AWD trannys, but only in Europe and Aus.

So it’s the type that wont let the front spin faster than the rear? I could live with that, just don’t want one wheel drive when the white stuff falls on the mountain. Whats the front diff ratio, 3.7? I’d like to use my LSD, but can convert it to 3.9 if need be.

Does the STI have the bias adjusting center diff? How much would that tranns cost?

Gary

So it’s the type that wont let the front spin faster than the rear? I could live with that, just don’t want one wheel drive when the white stuff falls on the mountain. Whats the front diff ratio, 3.7? I’d like to use my LSD, but can convert it to 3.9 if need be.

Does the STI have the bias adjusting center diff? How much would that tranns cost?

Gary

I had always thought the 5 spd pushbutton tranny would bolt right up to an ej engine. I guess not.

Gary

The USDM STi 6speed has an open center diff with an adjutable Clutchpack to vary the amount of lock from full open to full lock. It is also setup to give a 35front/65rear power split.

Keith

Well, incase you are interested, I know that there is a front clip from a 95 WRX (260hp) coming into a shop in Tacoma early in October, they want $2500 for it. It comes with the complete front end of the car (from about 8 inches back from the door post, forward) and the complete drive train and rear suspension. Basically everything that you would need for the conversion. If you are interested e-mail me at corkysrocks@isomedia.com .