Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Moving from tires forward?

First let me say - YES I'm a Subie Noob and no I don't own a Subie yet...... So sorry if this question is really stupid.

Just from what I've seen, it looks like the firewall is the main issue on fitting large tires. Is that true? Is it possible to move the front tires forward on a Subie to gain Firewall clearance so you can clear larger tires easier and with less lift?

For instance on my 4Runner the front axle is moved 3 1/2" forward and I tubbed the firewall 2" this give me the ablility to run 36" tires on 15 x10 rims and 2" BS rims for only 4" of lift for that LOW WIDE stance.....

My guess is to this question is no..... but after thinking about it some more I would have to say that anything is possible. Would it require fabbing up new strut towers same a couple inches forward of the stock location? and then possible relocating the radiator and moving the engine forward?

Anyways its, just something I wanted to ask about since I don't own one yet to look the idea over..... BTW I like to try to think outside the box.....

Like you said, anything is possible. And if you're already doing major mutations like a frame, big lift or whatever...go for it. I've been figuring on moving the front end forward I ever get to build another car, but for now my whole life is on hold so it's all just a daydream. My plan was to basically hack off the front unibody and build a tubular structure off of the frame from the firewall forward. In my plan the unibody car would end up mounted to a frame basically like the cab of a Yota truck.

Well see I got some 30x9.50 BFG MT (actually 7 of them) that might be perfect for a Subie. right now they measure 28.5" tall but I want to make sure I have enough clearance when I'm at full flex I can steer from lock to lock without the tire hitting anything. So I'm just thinking about stuff.....

I extended my front wheels 1" forward, by moving the crossmember 3" forward and making control arms angled 2" back, mainly for fitting the front diff in better. I couldnt go any further without hacking up the strut towers. I just made offset lift blocks on top of the towers that pushed the strut forward as much as possible. With 31s on 3.5" backspace rims on 6" lift, I havent had to touch the firewall, just trim the fenders.

On a wagon with a standard lift (where the side outputs of the tranny are still used) I would say the only way you could do it would be to move the motor, crossmember, everything forward. The crossmember cant move forward itself because it will hit the oilpan, and remember the axles are still tied to the tranny, so youd be running funny angles on them.

I wonder is you could just offset the control arms some and angle the struts? I'll have to take a look at mine and see.

I like this idea as keeping the center of gravity as low rump roast possible seems to be the hot ticket. I have 5 " of lift on my rig with 40" tires and 24" of travel. I moved the axle forward the same as your rig to do it and it works very well.

Going "full custom" on my '82 BRAT.

12" lift, ER-27/DR 5 spd, 'Yota T-case, 31" tires on 6-lug 'Yota rims, EA-82 power steering set up, yada, yada, yada. May even go 33", local tire shop has a set of slightly used ones for sale. Less than 100 miles om them. Man, they look huge though...

Been considering on moving the front suspension forward, and mounting the ER-27 more rearward, (have to see how that'll fit yet). Wanting to create room up-front for radiator, is reason for moving engine back. May have to raise engine up abit to clear crossmember, dunt know on that yet. If not, maybe see what I can do on rear mounted radiator. Another thread gave me that idea.......... Hmmm, inside of tailgate maybe??!!??

Also thinking on "Double A-arm" suspension with coil-over shocks, doing away with strut assembly. Run EA-82 axles, and get a wider stance out front. May re-do rear suspension, and use EA-82 axles there too. Wider is good for stability. Although, Scott says his is "good to go" on the normal stance with the bigger tires. She'll be an off-road vehicle, but want to drive her on the paved roads too. Son really likes riding in the back seats.

All I need is time "off work" to get busy wrenching on it.

I be liking how this thread is turning. Keep the ideas coming................