Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD Legacy wagons in sand?

coloradosubarules

I can't vouch for sand, but my old 95 wagon did wonderfully in the snow with all season tires. It would push snow with the front bumper all the way up to the lights! Never got stuck even once! Of course I didn't really off road with it much.

From what I understand though, snow and sand are pretty similar to drive in.

Also there are two theories about driving in snow (sand). One is to float on top of it, and lowing tire pressure will help here. The other is to get down to a solid bottom and that is where tall tires will help. I imagine that tires that are good in mud and snow with large lugs (think sandrail paddles) would be excellent in sand.

CO,

I'd have to agree with OZ. I used to run my '91 Legacy up and down the long beaches at a local lake all the time. I would air down to about 5 to 7 psi, and go anywhere I wanted to go (be sure to carry a compressor with ya to air back up tho). There is a lot of VERY soft sand in spots, and way deep....so there is hardly any chance of digging down to solid ground. In fact, it was very satifying to be able to give a guy driving a "real" (his words) 4x4 some help one day when he got stuck. He was driving a lifted (6"+) 3/4 ton, crew cab Ford.....buried to the doors from rocking back and forth. I drove right up and asked him if he needed help. He was not impressed. I finally got him to air down the moster boggers (very agressive tread) he had on it. He was convinced he would have to be pulled out. He would rock the truck back a little, I pushed sand into the holes, then he rock foward and I'd fill the back of the hole. Then we'd repeat. Each time he rocked, the truck would come up out of the hole just a little. Took us about 15 minutes to get him out. Made a new friend that day!

BTW, I use this trick a lot in the rocks too. Not quite so little air, but soft enough to let the tires wrap around the rocks a little. I made up a hose assembly for just this purpose. Basically, a hose with a clip-on air chuck at each end, and a tee in the middle. Off the tee I run another hose (about 4') to a pipe nipple with a valve in it. This way I can let the air out of two tires (f or r) and check the pressure from one spot. Is also nice when filling them up.

Good luck in the sand!

NV

Thanks for the tips. I always air down the XJ before hitting the trails so I guess my roo would be no different. I have on-board air that I could just bring with me. I also have auto deflators that I use on the jeep. I just set the pressure and screw them on. Within a matter of seconds I am aired down and hitting the trail.

My 79 wagon (before the tranny blew) tackled sugar sand with absolutely no problems.. at stock height, even keeping 30psi in the tyres. I just kept it in FWD and the revs up in 1st/2nd till I started to bog down.. at which time a pop into 4wd got me the rest of the way though the obstacle.

But being an AWD legacy.. as long as the clutchpacks are in good shape to effectively send power all around, just go easy on the gopedal through the sand, and a lil heavy when you first get in to float over.

Also being from Florida, I am intimately acquainted with the "sand" you talk about. :D