Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV axle grease leak question

I just got done changing both front axles becasue the right axle was leaking grease from the inboard joint onto the cat conv, firewall and engine. In the process I discovered the trans ( diff) bearings were shot so I put in a used tranny.

I also changed the wheel breaings and ball joints, tie rod ends..( not struts yet).

I drove the car 10 miles and grease is leaking out the same place on the new ( rebuilt) axle....seems too coincidental to me...

What to do ??

TIA

Paul

it's a very trivial issue if you can put up with the grease slinging around. i routinely drive 50,000 miles on broken boots, just stay out of the sand and you'll be fine. they get REAL noisey when sand gets up in there. inner and rear cv joints don't ariculate much, so they last forever.

put a new clamp on it or take it out and return it for another.

one of your old axles was not leaking when you pulled it. swap that with the new one that is leaking and see what happens. then go return, exchange or install a new boot clamp on the new one.

I just fixed one of my brand new axles that was doing the same thing.

The band around the larger side of the boot was not tight enough, so the auto store I bought them from gave me a band.

I tightened that SOB so tight it was a wonder the band didn't break. So far, so good.