Ultimate Subaru Message Board

State Laws concerning Engine Swaps

s'ko

SUVs are still holding strong here.

oh well burn it while it lasts huh?

hybrid technology is going to be great stuff for us all. should have happened years ago.

I think the diesel engine is supposed to be newer than the car its swaped into but I am not positive. researched that a bit when considering droping a turbo diesel into my toyota truck.

what exactly are you thinking of sheppie?

[quote name=

We have to register and insure EVERY vehicle' date=' whether it's driven or not, within 10 days of taking possession. If you retire a vehicle, it's illegal to keep an unregistered vehicle for more than 30 days, even on private property.

We are exempt from any emissions once a vehicle is 15 years or older. Newer vehicles are tested every other year for emissions.

,,, Glass must be intact with no cracks,,,.[/quote]

That registration issue might be specific to your town. The two towns I own in allow one unregistered vehicle per property kept "out of doors" but there is no limit to what you can have inside. I get around the issue by keeping any car I don't want to register & insure as a "homemade trailer". This costs twenty dollars per year for the plate. The building inspector laughed pretty hard when he came and checked the row of "trailers" after my neighbor complained. It's just a simple declaration required to document things so you can take the plate off at any time and it's a car again.

Glass can be cracked,,,but only if you can argue well. The cracks just can't be in certain areas like the sweep of the wipers. My Chevy has a bad weld that snaps glass in cold weather so every year I beat the ears off the inspector to save the price of a new glass.

The worst thing now in MA is that they added a "Vehicle Height Altered" visual test to the inspection to cut down on big lift kits.

I've found that all you have to do is keep your mouth shut, and take it to someone who normally does not inspect old Soobs, and no problem. In NC there aren't many Loyale's or older around, so I have not had a problem. Sorry to hear that they are so strict in CA. I have 2006 to look forward to because at that point they are dropping the sniffer test and the only emmisions test that will be done will be to plug into a cars OBD II system, which I don't have!!!!!

[quote name=

We have to register and insure EVERY vehicle' date=' whether it's driven or not, within 10 days of taking possession. If you retire a vehicle, it's illegal to keep an unregistered vehicle for more than 30 days, even on private property.

We are exempt from any emissions once a vehicle is 15 years or older. Newer vehicles are tested every other year for emissions.

,,, Glass must be intact with no cracks,,,.[/quote]

That registration issue might be specific to your town. The two towns I own in allow one unregistered vehicle per property kept "out of doors" but there is no limit to what you can have inside. I get around the issue by keeping any car I don't want to register & insure as a "homemade trailer". This costs twenty dollars per year for the plate. The building inspector laughed pretty hard when he came and checked the row of "trailers" after my neighbor complained. It's just a simple declaration required to document things so you can take the plate off at any time and it's a car again.

Glass can be cracked,,,but only if you can argue well. The cracks just can't be in certain areas like the sweep of the wipers. My Chevy has a bad weld that snaps glass in cold weather so every year I beat the ears off the inspector to save the price of a new glass.

The worst thing now in MA is that they added a "Vehicle Height Altered" visual test to the inspection to cut down on big lift kits.

Yeah, it could be a just a city ordinance here... I never heard of the homemade trailer thing except in NY.

Some of the lifts on the trucks in Danvers are crazy... looking at the kids driving them scares me, little rich kids that can't handle them, or even mom's SUV for that matter. <shudder, shake>

What really P's me off is I can't keep an unregistered car in my own yard and yet I see the number of "NH residents" just "hanging out" on a daily basis in my neighborhood. Since NH drivers don't even need insurance, it forces me to carry more insurance to cover me against under/uninsured drivers! And I'd still be stuck with the deductible! We can't even drive in their state without a minimum of 20/40. Why IS that anyway? Arrrrgggghhhh!