Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Clutch replacement WITHOUT a cherry-picker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cabrasafado

cabrasafado

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Utah County

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:11 PM

85 GL wagon, 4WD, ea82. Rusty.
Yep, I'm doing this the old fashioned way. Now that I've got all the bolts (4 + 1 from the air conditioning component that was bolted to it) from the bell-housing out, I've been trying to separate the bell-housing from the block. It doesn't want to budge. Not being a mechanic...no, not even close, I'm not sure what to do next. Preferrably, people remove the engine to replace the clutch, but I'm using what I've got on hand. Any tips? I've been able to pry it about an inch or so away from the block, but now it just seems stuck. Help!

#2 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:16 PM

do you have the motor mounts unbolted? should be able to jack up the motor enough to clear the crossmember, and pull the engine forward (provided you have the rad out already)

#3 cabrasafado

cabrasafado

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Utah County

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:18 PM

do you have the motor mounts unbolted? should be able to jack up the motor enough to clear the crossmember, and pull the engine forward (provided you have the rad out already)

No,I haven't done that. Where are those located?
P.S. THAT was a darn fast reply...:)

#4 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:31 PM

the motor mounts are located under the engine, did you remove the pitch stop from the bellhousing? Also, did you drop the tranny? if you drop the driveline(if you have 4WD) and unbolt tranny, and crossmember shouldnt you be able to lower tranny with tranny crossmember and tranny in a package, then you should be able to unbolt bellhousing from motor, and come to think of it you dont really have to remove bellhousing in order to gain access to the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel assembly. now i am just rambling.

~Josh~

#5 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:54 AM

1. take the oil pan skid plate off and raidator out, unhook heater core lines
2. disconnect the exhaust - 4 14 mm nuts
3. Look back about 4 to 6 inches from where the exhaust bolts where, there is the cross member. look around on the parts where it slants up, there is two 14 mm nuts (one on each side of the block.
4. take a floor jack, lift the engine up by the oil pan (put a piece of wood between the jack and the oil pan) jack it up 2 or 3 inches.
5. now grab the engine by the oil fill pipe and the valve cover on the other side of the engine and pull forward. The engine should slide right away from the tranny.
6. change clutch
7. do steps 5 through 1 to install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users