Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will any Impreza Suspension/Brake parts fit my 88 GL 4WD Hatch?

Hello all-

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm still learning. I was just wondering if there were any Impreza parts out there (or parts from other models for that matter) that I could bolt up to my 88 GL hatch to upgrade it. I know that with other manufacturers you can pick and choose better parts from other year or model cars and make such upgrades (like swapping to 5-lug hubs, swapping out springs or shocks, or even changing over to disk brakes) and I'm wondering if any such goodness could be in store for my little GL. Looking to improve handling and braking, mostly, though finding some power or new seats might be nice too. :)

Thanks in advance for the info.

- Freed

Actually I have close to the same question. I have an 88 GL 4wd Hatch and want to know if any rear axle parts from a 90 impreza sedan AWD will be interchangeable. My rear left bearings went out and most of the left axle needs to be replaced. Not sure on on the terminology concerning Subarus but everything from the hub to almost the drive shaft needs replacing.

If you what to do a 5 bolt conversion, you'll need to ge a tranny with a 25 spline stub axle (ie and turbo tranny), then you can only use front suspension parts, the knuckle, strut, axle, tie rod end, ball joint, and all the brake stuff, but now you won't have an e-brake. Nothing in the rear will work.

Dragonlee, I'd like to see that 90 Impreza, it is rare, considering that Subaru didn't make an Impreza until 1993.

So, were there any disc brake or 5-lug cars that I can pull 100% compatible parts from? (Like a disc brake Loyale or something like that?) I was hoping that when I do the brakes for the car, I could just buy the parts for a 5-lug and/or disc brake setup and upgrade at the same time.

I never did like drum brakes all that much (except for the ones on the late 60's Buicks with those huge, gorgeous cast aluminum drums!) and if I can get them out of there, so much the better. I'm hoping to autocross this car some day.

- Freed

So, were there any disc brake or 5-lug cars that I can pull 100% compatible parts from? (Like a disc brake Loyale or something like that?) I was hoping that when I do the brakes for the car, I could just buy the parts for a 5-lug and/or disc brake setup and upgrade at the same time.

I never did like drum brakes all that much (except for the ones on the late 60's Buicks with those huge, gorgeous cast aluminum drums!) and if I can get them out of there, so much the better. I'm hoping to autocross this car some day.

- Freed

If you use XT6 front calipers and the complete rear disc brakes they should bolt on. Note, it needs to be a 4WD XT6 for the rear brakes, you'll need to pull eveything from, and including, the backing plates outward.

I'm a little confused, and a bit surprised that the good Dr. didnt ask (unless I missed something). Is this 88GL Hatch a EA81 or EA82? Does it have the small hatch or the big window hatch? The EA82 GL is usually called a 3 door. The 5 lug will work on EA82's, but its a real PIA to do it on a EA81.

Rear disc's can be gotten from all EA82 turbo'ed cars, and its practically bolt on.

I'm a little confused, and a bit surprised that the good Dr. didnt ask (unless I missed something). Is this 88GL Hatch a EA81 or EA82? Does it have the small hatch or the big window hatch? The EA82 GL is usually called a 3 door. The 5 lug will work on EA82's, but its a real PIA to do it on a EA81.

Rear disc's can be gotten from all EA82 turbo'ed cars, and its practically bolt on.

Gee Rob, I can't believe that you would challenge the doctor. :lol: Yep, the hatch is an EA81, if the rear brakes off of an EA82 will fit on an EA81 then the rear brakes off of a XT6 will fit also. As for the fronts, if you use the strut tops off the that EA81 struts, the EJ series struts will bolt right in. Or you can redrill the strut tower on the EA81 to accept the three holes required for the EJ series struts.

Ok you asked if it had a small or big window but then didn't say which is which. My 88GL is a four door with a hatch, the window is half the hatch. So what would that make it?

Ok you asked if it had a small or big window but then didn't say which is which. My 88GL is a four door with a hatch, the window is half the hatch. So what would that make it?

4dr hatch? are you including the hood in this count???

does it look like this:

1980_b.sized.jpg

called a "hatch"

or like this:

1989_i.sized.jpg

normally called a "3dr"

cmon doc, ive got a 1990 legacy wagon.

~Josh~

??????????? I'm not sure what you are refering to here, someone ask if the wagons started in 1990, your reply seems to say that I said something to the contrary, I don't think I did. By the way, I just nswer the other person's question.

??????????? I'm not sure what you are refering to here, someone ask if the wagons started in 1990, your reply seems to say that I said something to the contrary, I don't think I did. By the way, I just nswer the other person's question.

Dragonlee, I'd like to see that 90 Impreza, it is rare, considering that Subaru didn't make an Impreza until 1993.

Lol sorry Legacy, was looking at pictures of Imprezas.

Same answer holds true for Legacys.

There ya go.

There ya go.
36_11_6.gif I guess that is what happens when you don't know who someone is responding to. My answer, "The same goes for Legacys" was not in reply to dragonlee's reply about that he meant a Legacy. You should be a news reporter, you have a good start at taking things out of context.

Ok so is it EA81 or EA82
Eventhough Rob has aready answered, here is a rule to go by without look at the engine; car from 1980 to 1984 were generally EA81s (some EA71s in there), from 1985 to 1989 they were EA82s, this rule doesn't include the BRAT and the Hatchback (not to be confused with the 3 door). There were EA82s from 1990 to 1994, but there were also Legacys and Imprezas in that time frame. It only applies to 4 cylinder cars.

My answer, "The same goes for Legacys" was not in reply to dragonlee's reply about that he meant a Legacy. You should be a news reporter, you have a good start at taking things out of context.

Oh look, there we go, right into the personal attacks! We all know you have your ego to protect right?! Your explanation doesnt make any sense, and I'm sure people will draw their own conclusions.

if your car is turbo with a 5spd or full time 4AT the legacy/impreza/xt6 axles will fit on the tranny. if its a non turbo, or a turbo with a 3spd AT the axles wont fit on the tranny.

BUT you can swap the 23 spline doj from a 3at turbo axle onto the leg/imp/xt6 axles to match a non turbo 5spd

this part is key but no one ever mentions it