Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Performance parts for older Subes?

Now I've already utilized most simple performance upgrades in tuning my Loyale (coil, wires, cone filter, etc.) but I was wondering if there are any other ways to eke out some extra horses. I've been looking at MSDs line of ignition products and was wondering if anyone has installed a "performance rotor" :rolleyes:

Seriously, besides the whole Megaspark/squirt thing (which is probably out of my league) do people run performance distributors or ignition systems? Whats involved in installing something like that that? What about performance fuel injectors? Heck, what about alternators with a higher than stock output?

(reminds me: would that be useful if I plan on adding more electrical equipment like amplifiers and the like?)

XT6 alternators are practically bolt-on, and require no electrical work.

There really aren't any special distribuitors available, and you have a Crank Angle Sensor anyway, which means that you would have to mess with the computer to get any better performance.

The injector for Loyales is specialized, and probably not upgradeable (look at the cost for a new one).

I have heard boreing out the throttle body help, but I would be REALLY careful doing that because there are fuel passageways in it.

Performance cams are available, but they tend to just move the powerband around.

The only other option is converting to turbo, and that is a LOT of work.

The injector for Loyales is specialized, and probably not upgradeable (look at the cost for a new one).

If they are the same as the turbo injectors, they can be replaced with nissan 300zx (i think its that one anyway) injectors, which are capable of a much higher flow rate. These would be the way to go if your going down the megasquirt road.....

Nothing wrong with the original distributer, as far as i know.

Big alternators, look here: »Got Amps? GM Alternators! (I'm about 90% done with a writeup.. been working on it in my free "I'm too bored to do anything else" time)

Other than that.. the only performance go fast parts for your Subaru that I know of would be to put it up on a trailer and tow it everywhere with a corvette. ;)

Upgrading ignition will only get you so far, basically you are upgrading it to what is truly adequate, after that is just overkill. The stock distributors work fine.

You need to increase the air flow through the engine so that you can use more fuel. The SPFI system is very restrictive through the MAF and through the throttle body injector. You can swap in the MAF from a 87+ turbo car, port the throttle body injector housing, and buy some delta cams (which will give you more top end power) Or swap an MPFI setup from a non-turbo XT (lots of work)

You havent mentioned exhaust. The stock exaust system is really restrictive. Running a 2-2.5" pipe from the Cat back with a high flow muffler will help alot. Running a completely custom system right from the engine is even better, but a more complex job.

Have you played with the timing to advance it as much as possible (stop just before it pings on accel)?

Well, what about something like this:

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=0&productID=27377&majID=525&minID=5286&selection=16&minselection=23

or

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=0&productID=27317&majID=525&minID=5286&selection=16&minselection=23

I could imagine that a computer controlled ignition system that adjusts to load and RPM would be VERY effective.

These sound like a lot of fun...what do you guys think, real deal or just snake oil?

Snake Oil.

The SPFI system you already have does all of that.

As it was mentioned earlier, ignition mods will only get you so far, and Subaru has pretty darn good stock equipment for the ignition system.

The injectors on SPFI systems are not like the ones on turbo cars, in fact they cost over $100 a piece because the O-ring mounting system is special.

Turbo is the only way to go if you want REAL power, and it can be modded over stock much easier.

kevin was up to 2.5" and is now wanting to downsize....and this is on an XT6...the 6 cylinder. i'd check kevin's dyno plots and what he has to say, he has alot of experience on this. he's tried a couple set ups as have i and on the XT6 i don't think wide open 2.5" is best for my rides. 2.0" seemed best on mine but it wasn't running perfect. running in top shape i think 2.25" is best. i also ran without a converter and now have a high flow converter in place. when i had no converter and big pipe mine lost alot of low end, but maybe it was a combination of something else. i think kevin has similar experience though. and again this is all on the 6 cylinder which is pushing alot more air.

Right now I'm running 2-1/4" ID piping from the custom bellmouth downpipe back to the muffler. I also have a CATCO high-flow cat on it and a TopSpeed Pro1 canister muffler. With this exhaust setup, I can definately feel the top end power as well as retaining decent low end power.

Alright then, what about this:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=MSD-5200

My blaster coil recommends this ignition system (not that I'm 100% buying it). And somehow I think my ignition system from 1992 will at least be somewhat inferior to a system from the 2000s.

Do you really think this module won't give me any boost at all? Or at the very least some mileage improvement? It also says that it's meant for stock vehicles, so I'm not going overkill. Does any have any experience with these devices?

I'd like to know at least what others have done besides the whole Megaspark/Squirt deal to improve economy and performance, with regards to the fuel injection/fuel delivery/ignition system.

I've already done that, I'm thinking more of something along the lines of processor controlled operation of the fuel and ignition systems. I'm not talking about Fast 'n Furious style laptop-powered NOS injection, but still maybe adding some modern day tech to our old Subes. Turbo is out of the question, however. I can't swap a EA82T and I don't think there's too many actual cars with it left.

Then there's subyluvr2212 who actually went and just did some coolant line rewiring to chill his throttle body. Funky stuff like that which just might give an extra kick. Because a lot of little kicks can equal one big kick.

Maybe I'm just tired of having to floor it to pass a friggin' Civic with 4 people in it...

...and they weren't even trying.

Air in and air out, any time you improve the ability to move air the faster your car will be. IMO the last thing you should spend bucks on is the spark, if you really want more power you will be disappointed after spending the big bucks you'll still have a na car. Buy a turbo. As said above exhaust, throttle body, intake[maybe spider], port the heads behind the valve's, NOS[?$$$?] All this and you will still be slower than a stock turbo car. Unless you want to start approaching the limits of reliability.