Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 2 wheel drive to 4wd

all of the captive nuts may not be there, but that swap has been done lots of times.

you will want the 4WD suspensions, as well as the gas tank, unless you lift it at least 4" at the same time. (the 4WD tank has theindent to allow for the rear diff...

I'm sure others will chime in with more things.....

Holes in the unibody for the outer diff hanger brackets were not drilled on mine. I could tell exactly where they went; as the unibody had a hole drilled in the first layer of the body but it wasnt fully drilled out or tapped. Pretty easy to drill out though and I just self-tapped with some taiperd tip bolts :)

on ea82 the holes wont be ther but they will be for ea81, for all that i have seen

in my ea81 i went from fwd 5spd and i had to beat out the tunnel for a 4wd 5spd from ea82, cut a hole in the side. the 4spd isnt as big so it wont take as much as mine and most kikely wont have to cut anything. the tranny tunnes will be different for whatever tranny came with, but the auto tunnel will be the biggest