Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 97 Legacy Outback, 2.5L, 5 speed and I plan on removing and checking the plugs again...you can read here what problems I have been having http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30462

What plugs do these engines like or dislike, standard gapping?

There was a looooong discussion on plugs several weeks ago. It is one of the issues that keep coming back again and again (why cant we use sticky threads like NASIOC does?).

grab yourself some NGK copper core "V" something or other, there only like $1.50 a piece, and you can get them pretty much anywhere, get new plug wires while your at it. make a point to look at your old plugs to see what they look like, it can tell your many things by what color your plugs are when oyu pull them out.

~Josh~

I know I don't have NGK's in there now so i will swap them out this weekend. I went to Advanced Auto Parts website and it shows either the Iridium or Platinum as OEM and not the V Groove...anyone found one preferable over the other?

I know I don't have NGK's in there now so i will swap them out this weekend. I went to Advanced Auto Parts website and it shows either the Iridium or Platinum as OEM and not the V Groove...anyone found one preferable over the other?

Platinum is the recommended OEM plug. If you don't mind changing them more often, you can go with the lower priced copper plugs. Stick to NGK.

Commuter

Ha, ha, ha!

I see that you dislike the search feature on this site...

I see you are not so friendly after all, try answering the question instead of padding your post total OK? Two posts from you on my thread even though I am getting advice from other HELPFUL members here.

Did you ever even read my link to my otherr post? If not, why not trying to give me some advice if you are so knowledgeable.

Ha, ha, ha!

I see that you dislike the search feature on this site...

I see you are not so friendly after all, try answering the question instead of padding your post total OK? Two posts from you on my thread even though I am getting advice from other HELPFUL members here.

Did you ever even read my link to my otherr post? If not, why not trying to give me some advice if you are so knowledgeable.

I like your padding post total comment! Like one would care (not); go ahead and pad yours!

I was gently trying to steer you to valuable past discussions here, like:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30297&highlight=spark+plugs+platinum

I guess, it backfired.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will change my moniker to unfriendly. Wait, friendly was just sarcasm!

Thanks for the plug advice, I switched to the NGK Platinum's this weekend and while the Bosch plugs looked real good the car is running a bit smoother, the CEL light did come on again though today on the way to work.

I hope you got yourself double platinum (aka laser platinum) NGK. Single wire platinum electrode will disintegrate itself in no time in Subaru's waste spark ignition system.

Then you should have posted that link in the first place. I have used this board in the past for info by searching but my situation is about more than just spark plugs as my link will explain. If you have some ideas on where to look next please let me know.

Friendly or not it really doesn't matter to me, what sucks is peoples comments to search when they know the answer or have a link....it happens on every message board I am involved in and it really isn't helpful, just gives people the wrong idea on what a message board is all about.

I like your padding post total comment! Like one would care (not); go ahead and pad yours!

I was gently trying to steer you to valuable past discussions here, like:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30297&highlight=spark+plugs+platinum

I guess, it backfired.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will change my moniker to unfriendly. Wait, friendly was just sarcasm!

That's what I bought, just wish it solved the problem.

I hope you got yourself double platinum (aka laser platinum) NGK. Single wire platinum electrode will disintegrate itself in no time in Subaru's waste spark ignition system.

I'm using the NGK platinums right now. They have been in there for almost two years now and are performing perfectly. Maybe I'm pushing my luck but I've some NGK Iridiums waiting for the next change. Just curious to compare.