Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'05 Recall Notice From My Dealer?

Wouldn't Subaru America directly contact me if there was recall on my new OB?

Dealer sends me a yellow postcard marked " URGENT SAFETY RECALL" on my new '05 OB 2.5i telling me to call them. I bought it a few weeks ago in Gresham Oregon. The postcard is postmarded Salem, Oregon. Kinda startling.

Called the number on the postcard -it was the dealer- and was transferred to the service department. They wanted my VIN to proceed. I told them goodbye (They would already/still have my VIN after only five weeks.)

Is the dealer/sevice deptartment tying to play me for something: spook me into an extended warrenty or something? Or, at worst, is someone phishing for my VIN?

What's going on here?

Juan

Some 05 legacy's and Outbacks have the side air-curtains installed incorrectly. This was discovered during the government crash testing. Subaru is certain of the VIN they started correcting this at, but has sent out a blanket notice to those purchased vehicles which the dealer didn't get chance to inspect.

No hidden sales pitches here...But I would take my new Subaru back to at least know I was safe.

http://www.automotive.com/2005/49/subaru/outback/recalls/19976.html

Subaru had a recall on the first 5000 05's produced starting in June of 2004.

The problem was with the packing or folding of the side air bags in installation. They have taken care of the problem. So, unless your Outback was one of the first 5000 made, don't worry.

A coworker of mine just had a recall on her brand new VDC Outback. I believe she said it had something to do with the manual shifting of her auto tranny. Do what you like, but if I were you....yes I know I'm not....I'd call them back with the VIN number & find out what's up.:D

I'd be right over there ASAP. I got a new fuel pump and window mechanism for my BMW that way.

So far Subaru has just given me head gasket in a can and paid me back for my earlier head gasket job.

Recalls are great!