Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To part or not to part that is the question!!!!

I have a tough question that I need some advice to. I bought a 93 Loyale a year ago and have been having a lot of problems with. I just can not get it running right even after pulling the engine and rebuilding it. I then took it to a mechanic and he is giving me a price of about $1200 to put in a new engine. I am not sure if it is worth it or if I should just part it out and cut my losses. What do you guys think. It is going to be hard to part it out though because no one drives Subarus down here in Texas. I just really like that car a lot but seem to not be able to get it running right on my own. Any advice would be much appreciated.

If you rebuilt it then it should be close to ready to run?

What is the engine not doing?

Can you give us some details?

If I'd rebuilt it, I'd be looking to make it pay me back with some good trouble free drivin!

Let the board take a crack at figuring out what's wrong.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Sweet82 after I dropped it back into my car it ran really rough and loud. I just figured that it was the timing and the fact that it now has an exhaust leak. However I was unable to get it running smooth on my own. That is when I decided to get an opinion from a mechanic. He says that there is more wrong with it than we are able to see and he would have to break it down some to figure out what was all wrong with it. It is just frustrating because I dont know whether to believe him or not because I am fairly new to working on my own car. This would not be a problem in Washington but down here in Texas no one works on Subs for some reason. It is really wierd no one drives Subs at all. I think I have seen like 2 down here the whole time since I have lived here. I am just glad I am about to get back home. Any suggestions as to what I should go from here?

Northguy what do you mean by a JDM? I found a place that I can get a fairly new engine for $695 plus shipping out of Dallas I think. They get them from Japan after the cars no longer pass inspections which is fairly often I guess. Is there any place that you can think of that could beat that price. I would need an EA-82 non-turbo MPFI.

Any one else feel free to offer suggestions or if you know where I could get a EA-82 that runs good I would really appreciate it. Thanks

I am not clear as to why you believe you need a new motor.

If this mechanic has come to this conclusion, what is his rationalle? What kind of troubleshooting has he done? You don't just replace the motor without a good reason.

I would get some more opinions. There are infinite reasons why your car is running like crap. A different motor won't necessarily make your car run better. Ask questions, and post what he tells you on this board.

Unfortunately, some mechanics are lazy, and don't want to put any effort in understanding the problem - especially if they aren't familiar with Subes. The best mechanics will fully diagnose the problem before making a recommendation. If you don't fully understand the issue at hand, find a better mechanic.

good luck, John

I think that is honestly what the problem is. He seems like he is pretty lazy. My problem is like I said that there is no mechanics down here that work on Subarus. I think I might wait until I get back to Washington here in a month or so and bring it to a few mechanics and get their opinions. I don't honestly think it needs a new engine but I am just so frustrated at this point I thought that might solve the problem.

Was the distributor taken out while it was being rebuilt? Could be just one tooth off of being right. Give more details of what it does. There are good mechanics on this board that can help if given the systems.

It's like the time I tried to install a new sink in the kitchen, I got the plumbing in ok, but it just didn't drain correct. After calling the plumber, he had it fixed in 10 minutes and said to me: "You almost had it, just a little more time and you would have had it working". Next time I will try harder to fix it myself. Take the time to check it out here on the board and you'll get it fixed.

A good place to start is with your on-board computer. Is your "Check Engine" light coming on?

If so, you can pull the codes yourself, or have it done it done by someone else very inexpensively. This might give you some clues as to what's going on.

If there are no trouble codes, you can move on to a compression check, to assess the condition of your motor. Again, another inexpensive service procedure.

good luck, John