Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Super Swampers!

Roundeye

Just got them installed. I had to do some minor trimming of the fenders (at the bottoms) and some clearancing with a hammer. MAN it made all the difference! BTW, they are LT215/85/15 TSL Super Swampers. Got them from National Tire and Rim in WV. $85 each.

484047_53_full.jpg

Just got them installed. I had to do some minor trimming of the fenders (at the bottoms) and some clearancing with a hammer. MAN it made all the difference! BTW, they are LT215/85/15 TSL Super Swampers. Got them from National Tire and Rim in WV. $85 each.

484047_53_full.jpg

ok seeing this is really making me want to do that strut swap more an more,darn lack of $$$ :slobber:

Hey the super swampers do make the difference dont they!!! I just put a set of 29 x 15s on my company car and it just is unstoppable. It looks like you went with the radials, how do you like them? Also I assume that is a lift with a different strut so you have more clearance?

484047_53_full.jpg

Hey the super swampers do make the difference dont they!!! I just put a set of 29 x 15s on my company car and it just is unstoppable. It looks like you went with the radials, how do you like them? Also I assume that is a lift with a different strut so you have more clearance?

They ride great. The lift is a PK Davis (a.k.a. "OZified") 4 inch lift. It uses 4" spacers above the factory struts and drops the entire driveline 3".

While we our on the subject of super swamper I am looking to buy a set , Questions the different choices Bias ply , Radial, TSL, SX etc. whats the best for offroad? whats the advantage or disadvantage of each style? thanks SJR

I have read that the regular TSL Super Swamper has a tougher sidewall making it more resistant to damage. Better for extreme off road use. The drawback is that they are hell to balance and are very prone to flat-spotting when parked for a while. I can personally verify the flat-spot thing. I had a set on a Cherokee and it took a while to heat them up and get them round again. They vibrated bad when cold. You could feel the flat spots.

The TSL Super Swamper radials balance easier and ride better. I have tested my Swamper radial-equipped Subie to about 70 mph with no noticeable vibration. No flat-spotting noted. They do have a weaker sidewall than regular Swampers, but still tough as a lighter knot compared to many other tires. It's a tradeoff.

Any tire with a nasty tread is going to be loud. I like it though. Freaks people out when they hear something roaring down the highway and it turns out to be a Subaru station wagon!

I'm happy with my radials.